Problem adding photo's back to SD card

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Graham64, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Graham64

Graham64
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I am hoping someone can help me with a wee problem I'm having....

I'm trying to copy some photo's held on my PC back to an SD card so that it can be used in a digital photoframe but I am only able to copy 174 files before it rejects with an error message that it "Cannot copy [picture name]: the directory or file cannot be created".

I've tried this with both a 1gb and 2gb card and it gets to the same point before stopping (and the files only seem to total 165mb so there should be plenty of room. It is a FAT file system, will this make any difference?)

Does anyone have any idea how I can get more than 174 photo's back on the card??:lease:

Thank in advance!!

Graham

2. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    clutching at straws a bit but couldn't be that one of the files your trying to copy over isn't in a picture format like a jpeg?

3. Graham64

Graham64
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that but they're all jpg's, and if I empty the card and start again from the file that wouldn't copy originally, this it does now load successfully but as soon as I get to 174 files it stops again!:thumbsdow

I'm going to try a brand new card this evening and see if that makes any difference!

Cheers

Graham

4. DPinBucks

DPinBucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,974
    A few questions:
    - I assume you are using Windows Explorer to bulk copy the files? Have you tried copying a single file (the 175th)? Does that still blow up?
    - Have you tried opening the 175th jpg in an editor and saving it to the card?

If none of the above work, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas for the moment. I was going to suggest reformatting the card, but then noticed you've tried it with more than one, so that idea is possibly a non-starter. However, it might be that the cards you are using have been formatted for a digital camera, and there might be oddities in the directory structure. If you haven't already tried it, I suggest you format the card as a 'disc' drive on your PC, and then have another go.

5. Graham64

Graham64
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, I've tried copying one additional file, that didn't work but I've not tried saving direct to the card or formatting it on the PC yet. I'll try them later as well.

Thanks

Graham

6. bream

bream
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I had (almost) the exact same problem just before Xmas. After much use of expletives ....

I connected a different USB card reader to the laptop instead of using the one that is integrated and it worked fine. This has to be worth a try?

Cheers.

7. willmac

willmac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  8. Graham64

Graham64
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help, reformatting the SD card into FAT32 seems to have worked and I now have 600 files sitting happily on the card:clap::clap::clap:
    thanks a lot

Graham