Probe hits comet...

dc007

Established Member
Reaction score
What if it wasn't a comet ?

What if it was a camouflaged UFO ?

Surely this would be regarded as an act of war ?!

Was NASA a tad irresponsible here ?!

Don't know about that, but found the "let's blow it up and see what happens" approach to be quintessentially American!

That’s a bit of a scenario from sci-fi I remember one covered in a
Outer Limits where there is a spaceship coming to Earth and the 2 super powers did not know if it is friendly or a foe (wont say what happens as it would be a spoiler).

Surly if anything like the above the alien race should be that advanced to realise what was happening.

An alien David Attenborough-type, pootling around the Universe with a film crew in a space ship disguised as a meteorite so it can blend in with its surroundings - it wouldn't be carrying any defensive capabilities... :oops:

pringtef said:
Don't know about that, but found the "let's blow it up and see what happens" approach to be quintessentially American!

:rotfl: that comment made me laugh out loud in the office :blush:

Surely this would be regarded as an act of war ?!

Was NASA a tad irresponsible here ?!

yup ! basically all the worst parts of the bible ..... :eek: :(

"Probe hits Comet."

About time too - I hate the way they try and hard sell you on their WMDs (Warranty of Mass Deception)

Just got to convince the yanks to target Currys and Dixons next and we'll be sorted.

About time too - I hate the way they try and hard sell you on their WMDs (Warranty of Mass Deception)
:rotfl: Sorry that just killed me............

Is no one then excited about seeing whats inside a bit of rock shooting around the solar system.........? :eek:

I reckon its on a collision course with Earth and they've disguised an attempt to knock it off course as a scientific experiment.

Lets face it if they told us we only had 5 years left before a comet wipes us out by the time it hits things would have descended into anarchy.

When NASA said they were gonna hit it with something the size of a washing machine I volunteered our Hotpoint A120 but I never heard anything back...PJ :)

Mr.D said:
I reckon its on a collision course with Earth and they've disguised an attempt to knock it off course as a scientific experiment.

Lets face it if they told us we only had 5 years left before a comet wipes us out by the time it hits things would have descended into anarchy.

There's also the flip side to that. The comet was on course to pass the earth at a safe distance. Nasa have just changed it's direction our way!!

When I saw the title of the thread I was going to ask if they were having a closing down sale ;)

There's a great comment in today's Metro.
"Russian astrologist Marina Bai was not so happy. She is suing Nasa for £150million. 'Elements of the comet's orbit will change after the explosion, which interferes with my work and distorts my horoscope,' she said.
Wonder if her horoscopes included the comet before she learnt Nasa were going to start chucking washing machines at it.Also, £150million!!! How much has her horoscope changed. Used to read "You will win the lottery next year". Now reads "You will be torn apart by rabid hedgehogs next year."

Mr.The.Spoon said:
Wonder if her horoscopes included the comet before she learnt Nasa were going to start chucking washing machines at it.Also, £150million!!! How much has her horoscope changed. Used to read "You will win the lottery next year". Now reads "You will be torn apart by rabid hedgehogs next year."

There's an article on the BBC about this. She sounds very strange:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4649987.stm

An amateur astrologist, she believes that any variation in the orbit or the composition of the Tempel comet will certainly affect her own fate.

So Ms Marina's claims to be experiencing "a moral trauma" - which only a payment of $300m (252m euros; £170m) can put right.

Her lawyers are equally as strange as she is:

"The impact changed the magnetic properties of the comet, and this could have affected mobile telephony here on Earth. If your phone went down this morning, ask yourself Why? and then get in touch with us," says Mr Molokhov.

Sounds like easy money if she wins though. I might have a go myself.

Sounds like easy money if she wins though. I might have a go myself.
Let us know how you get on........... :devil: :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom