1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probably the worst lens in the world....

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by RobertP, May 6, 2005.

1. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If Carlsberg made lenses they probably would not use Grolsch cans :D

I'd often wondered just what sort of image you would get from a pinhole camera. In a mad moment last night I took my penknife to a couple of empty (and bone dry) beer cans and made a hole with a tiny screwdriver in the base of one. I then taped the topless can onto an extension tube I use for macro :eek:

The only thing I could take a picture of with my new 225mm ish lens was my 19" screen from about 15 foot away. It made a lousy blurred picture but it did work :rotfl: Can you tell what it is?

Then I thought I'd have a go at a wider angle.... another empty can.... this time a hole with the tip of a needle. impossible to use in the evening so this morning I took it outside. Nice soft image with 10 seconds exposure :)

With a bit of luck pictures of the lenses ( :rolleyes: ) and the pictures they took should be attached.

Pinholes show dust on the sensor like nothing else! Could not see anything in normal shots but I cleaned it again anyway.

Attached Files:

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Were you just bored or feeling inventive? I take my hat off to you, my mate and i haven't seen anything so genius for weeks! Perhaps you could create a zoom lense by using 2 cans with 1 diameter slightly wider than the other!!

3. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny you should say that. When I cut the can for the wide angle I looked at the tube I had cut off then thought nahhh.... :rotfl:

4. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    :rotfl: Go on, do it!!

5. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Robert, I'm not sure if your mad or as SeanryC said a genius. Either way it made me laugh. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

ASH1 :smashin:

6. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you think about what a real lens does to achieve a sharp image you can't help but be impressed with the degree of precision needed in manufacture.
    My 'wide angle' pinhole was about 0.3 mm diameter and produced an image that soft. The telephoto :rotfl: had a hole nearer 1mm diameter.

This all started when I looked at daft listings on ebay for eos lenses 2000mm focal length that looked like toy telescopes (and wondering who would buy them) ... and I started thinking about focal lengths and size of lenses. My first thought was a length of plastic drain pipe with a pinhole at the end... then I saw the empty cans :devil:

7. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that made me laugh :laugh: :laugh: . You could always copy the Mirror lens look with a party can ;)