Probably been done to death but here goes.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by vegnomeat, Apr 29, 2003.

1. vegnomeat

vegnomeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips TV with DD 5.1 onboard (9607) with one digital audio in, this is currently fed by my DVD player, the video from the DVD is fed via RGB to AV1 on the TV, This works fine. AV1 is the only AV input that works with the Digital Audio in. (a Philips featyure).

However, I have considered SKY + primarily for the DD 5.1 output.
    However, is there such a beast/switching box that will accept RGB Video and Digital Audio from two devices (and auto select the "on" device) and output one RGB scart and One Digital Audio to my TV ?

I had considered a seperate amp but can't find one with Scart RGB in and out, just lots of S-VHS in and outputs.

Thanks

Wayne

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The Holdan switcher might! see General hardware for info or keene.co.uk

3. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might not need an amp that switches RGB Scart, depends on your setup.

I'm guessing that you haven't got two scarts on the DVD? If you did, you could wire it up as follows:

Sky -> DVD Scart In
    DVD Scart Out -> TV AV1.

That way, when the DVD is taken out of standby then the DVD picture switches onto the screen, and when it is off, the Sky picture is on screen.

An alternative approach is:

Sky TV Out -> TV AV1
    DVD Out -> Sky Aux

When Sky is off, the DVD signal passes through to the TV. This doesn't need two Scarts on your DVD, but you may have a video plugged into the Aux Scart.(Less of a problem if you are using Sky+ though)

Your Video can only output Composite, so plug this into TV AV2 and use either co-ax from the Sky box or (If Video has two scarts) loop through in front of the Sky TV Out.... :zonked:

So the point of all this? Well if you can auto switch using loop through you only need an optical switch. Keene have one for £60 that can switch up to 4 inputs to 2 outputs.

See

http://www.keene.co.uk/cgi-bin/codesearch.pl?BTZ42

Hope this gives you a viable solution without spending money on an amp, seeing as you have paid for the decoder in the TV:(

Kind Regards,

James

4. vegnomeat

vegnomeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why didn't I think of that, the DVD does have two scarts, simple RGB setup and a switcher for the audio, thanks.

Wayne