1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probably another daft Newbie question......

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cozypowell, Aug 28, 2005.

1. cozypowell

cozypowell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings Forum,

Before rushing out to buy a 42" plasma (max budget £1000), I thought I would have a quick look at AVForum for some information on the relative merits of plasma/lcdtv/pj. Very informative but surprise surprise, I ended up with even more questions, hence this post to, hopefully, test the brains of people far more experienced than me. My questions are these:

1) With a room size of 22'x14', viewing distance of 18', throw distance of 12' (if PJ), and maximum screen diagonal of 65", which screen type and size would I be better off with? Am I right in leaning towards a PJ?

2) What other hardware and interconnects do I need to buy to get either a plasma/lcdtv/pj to cope with my

a) freeview box (SCART)
    b) DVD Player (Component Video)
    c) PC with Digital TV Card in it (2 year old video card)

3) Regarding the PC (2.6GHz AMD Athlon), is it in principle a good or bad idea to start adding components to it (ie DVD ROM, decent sound card, speakers etc) as a basis for a home cinema system?

All responses gratefully received. thank you.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    A PJ is at present the most cost effective way to get a high quality large image. It is not without compromise, but I would happily recommend a PJ for regular use in a darkened environment. If however you want something to take the place of the TV especially in light viewing conditions then a plasma would be a better option. Even better have both of course!...PJ :)

3. cozypowell

cozypowell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Having seen new projectors from c£500 on eBay it crossed my mind that one of those in the lounge, and for about the same price a 26" LCD in the kitchen might make having both a viable option.