probably a stupid question...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mrsl, Feb 11, 2009.

1. mrsl

mrsl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    I want to build a new pc and salvage parts from my old pc namely the HDD and dvd drives.
    If I buy a new mobo and CPU can I just plug the old drives (IDE) straight in and windows will work or is a clean install required since I'm not sure if I have the setup discs or not. I don't really want to shell out for vista if I don't need to.
    Sorry if its a stupid question - I have plenty more of them...
    Thanks

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    I would highly recommend a clean install , while there are ways to make any particular install driver independant to attempt to do what you describe , it invariably leads to lots of blue screen crashes due to driver conflicts.

The new motherboard will need new drivers and a clean install is the best way to ensure the least amount of problems occur.

3. mrsl

mrsl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks. I was just trying to cheapskate a bit since I'm feeling a bit guilty about buying an xfx hd4870 and still trying to decide which mb, cpu etc to get!

4. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,230
    I guarentee that the installation will Blue Screen as the HAL (hardware Abstract Layers) will differ and you will need a clean install. You could do a Windows repair but with the changes made a while back you need to know enough about it to make it work and update properly after the repair. If that makes sense.