• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Probably a really silly question

Rousey

Standard Member
Hi Guys

Am just about to start cabbling up the new home cinema kit. My question is this..

If I have Sky HD/PS3 connected to my plasma via HDMI. I then have an optical audio cable going the plasma to the home cinema.. do I need seperate optical audio cables going direct from the sky hd box and ps3 or does the HDMI cable carry the optical audio already?

Cheers

un1eash

Distinguished Member
........so yes you will need an optical cable from your PS3 and one from your Sky HD to your home cinema to get 5.1.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Thanks

I thought the HDMI cable carried optical audio feed as well. guess not!

The HDMI can carry surround audio (depends on the kit though). However your TV will almost certainly only pass stereo down its optical output thats why you need seperate connections

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
Also remember that Sky HD only sends 2 channel audio over HDMI anyway so you will require an optical cable to get 5.1 from Sky HD.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom