Probably a dumb question but...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by drummist, Jan 16, 2008.

1. drummist

drummist
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All

I'm probably asking a stupid question but here goes anyway. Is it possible to have both an AV amp and a 2 channel amp both hooked up to the same set of front speakers (MA BR5's)and to switch between the two as and when needed

At the moment I play both music and movies through a Cambridge Audio 540r AV amp but in time I'd like to improve my 2 channel sound. The Cambridge is fine for my home cinema needs and so I'd rather not waste any money buying a more expensive AV amp when I'd rather spend any money on the best 2 channel amp I could afford.

So, can the same speakers be hooked up to both the AV amp and a 2 channel amp? If the answer is yes would this involve some kind of switching device so that the speakers didn't inadvertantly get overloaded and if so could anybody recommend a switching product that would do this?

Thanks in advance for any help you could offer

2. Dave964

Dave964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    All you do is connect the front left / right outputs of your AV amp to an input on your hi-fi stereo amp (e.g. aux in). Then, when watching movies etc. you just have to switch source on your stereo amp.

When you calibrate the speakers on your AV amp (so they are all the same level) you do it with the stereo volume at a fixed level. Whenever you use the AV amp, you put the stereo amp back to this fixed volume level.

3. drummist

drummist
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow, thanks Dave964 that was impressively quick and really helpful. I appreciate your reply.:thumbsup:

4. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    As said above, you need a certain level/calibre of AV amp to do it, as it needs to have pre outs for the front speakers... one of the more cost effective ones i found that was suitable was the Onkyo 705, and i think the Sony STDR1200ES did too..... then follow the guidelines as above - it can be a bit fussy with setting up the integrated amp at a certain volume for even sound on AV if you don't have a gain matched unit such as those from Arcam etc.

I run my system in the way described, though my Yamaha processor is quite old now, it's still ace!

5. gweaver

gweaver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello all,

I wanted to ask the same question as Drummist. To achieve this setup, does this mean that my current AV amp needs to have Pre-Out jacks, and that these jacks are to be connected to a seperate stereo amplifier? If so, does this mean that the quality of the AV amp has an effect on the quality of playback (as opposed to just having a stereo amp and a pair of stereo speakers with no AV amp involved)?

Cheers,

Gavin

6. phil t

phil t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    You connect your source to the stereo amp, not the AV amp.

:)

7. gweaver

gweaver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If the source is connected to the stereo amp, where is the stereo amp then connected?

Cheers,

Gavin

8. phil t

phil t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +318
    To the front left and right speakers.

The front left and right pre-outs from the AV amp are also connected to the stereo amp.