• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Probably a big ask - HD audio via internet with storage.

Apollo11

Established Member
Hi all, I have recently started listening to music over the internet since upgrading my broadband package to unlimited. I listen mainly using good quality headphones and an Audiolab M-dac. Can anyone tell me if the following is possible:

I need to play high quality music from sites such as 'you tube' (hope is ok to mention on here) from a streamer that will output via coax at 96 Khz to the input of the M-dac.

I also need the streamer to be able to store files on a built in hard drive.

I have looked at the Sony HAP-S1 which has storage but no digital output.
Also have looked at the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 but it has no hard drive.

Am I asking too much? I am currently using my laptop connected via usb to the M-dac which sends music to my headphones as well as to my main amplifier via optical.

I'm not sure how a streamer would navigate the net to find music but guess they can do this.

Sorry if this sounds daft but I can't seem to source a player that has the required spec and would rather not use my laptop as not keen on having a 5 metre usb cable dangling across the lounge floor.

Thanks for any replies

Richard

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
AFAIK no-one is commercially streaming at better than 320kbps lossy, (i.e. Spotify Premium, BBC) so the streamer will just expand that to CD standard PCM for input to the DAC, the m_DAC should lock-onto this fine.

There's very few streamers with built-in storage, most folks prefer the flexibility of a NAS, but the Cocktail Audio X10/X30 could be worth a look although as with the Sony HAP-S1 it contains an amp your may not need.

You can save playlists locally from smartphone/PC apps like Spotify and Nokia MixRadio, while you have a subscription.

Last edited:

Apollo11

Established Member
AFAIK no-one is commercially streaming at better than 320kbps lossy, (i.e. Spotify Premium, BBC) so the streamer will just expand that to CD standard PCM for input to the DAC, the m_DAC should lock-onto this fine.

There's very few streamers with built-in storage, most folks prefer the flexibility of a NAS, but the Cocktail Audio X10/X30 could be worth a look although as with the Sony HAP-S1 it contains an amp your may not need.

You can save playlists locally from smartphone/PC apps like Spotify and Nokia MixRadio, while you have a subscription.

Hi and many thanks for the information, very useful. I'd forgotten about Spotify and am going to sign up for it again as is a great way to find music. The Cocktail X30 looks very interesting and now reading a few pages about it.

Regards
Richard

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
High quality audio & YouTube is something of an oxymoron. ;)

But if you want to search/play from YouTube you may be better looking at AV streamers as a few of them have HDDs built in. Down side is you'll need the TV on. Or a small netbook dedicated to the task.

Apollo11

Established Member
High quality audio & YouTube is something of an oxymoron. ;)

But if you want to search/play from YouTube you may be better looking at AV streamers as a few of them have HDDs built in. Down side is you'll need the TV on. Or a small netbook dedicated to the task.

I've found quite a few h q audio pages on you tube and also some very interesting 3d demonstrations which with headphones are a lot of fun.. Am now considering the Cambridge Audio Magic 6 again as has everything apart from storage.

Richard

Sanjbmw2001

Established Member
Hello

Have you looked at the bluesound vault. Streams hd, music.
It's similar to sonos but better quality streaming and I think it has a built in hdd

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom