Proac Studio 200 refoam

unrealdave

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi - I have just inherited a pair of Proac Studio 200's. Unfortunately the foam surrounds on the mid/bass drivers have deteriorated and now believe I have a couple of options, as these are apparently excellent speakers worth sorting out.

1st is to replace the drivers entirely - I spoke to a chap at Proac and they still provide the units.

2nd is to refoam.

My questions are as follows

1 does refoaming work, and is it a diy procedure or can it be done professionally?

2 What was the original price of the speakers and what would they be worth (ball park) if I sold them 'as is' for someone more knowledgeable to repair them?

Thanks for any input

Dave

Hi Dog

I do not want tp spend more than is economical - ie is £800 is more than they would be worth?

I do not want tp spend more than is economical - ie is £800 is more than they would be worth

Probably. Looking around at second hand prices, it seems that sellers are asking around £700 for a pair of Proac Studio 200 in good condition (doesn't mean to say sellers will achieve that price though).

Obviously, yours are not in good condition. It's common for drive units with a foam rubber-type surrounds (as opposed to non-aerated rubber) to deteriorate over time and the rate of deterioration depends upon several environmental factors. Some foam rubber surrounds under certain domestic conditions can suffer visibly obvious breakdown at around 10 years, others last nearer to 20. Never heard of one lasting any longer than 20 years when in constant use and exposed to 'normal' (or greater) light and heat but maybe the newer foam rubber surrounds are more stable - time will tell.

There are speaker surround foam rubber replacement kits out there and they're not expensive. The kits I've seen have been for a particular speaker so the foam rubber replacement surround was already cut to size/shape. Don't know if there's a kit out there for the Proac Studio 200. Perhaps there are kits that the user cuts to size/shape? Worth a look around because the Studio 200 speakers appear to be worth saving.

I've no idea how much your speakers would be worth if sold 'as is'. Could be worth putting them on ebay at a high price with the option of inviting offers which you choose to accept or decline.

Yes - pretty much my thoughts but I am tempted to refoam them just to try them out, but time constraints and I already (according to Mrs Unreal) have to many speakers so I think its the ebay route

Thanks for your input

Well I decided to refoam and I am glad I did.

I got the proper parts from Australia and with import duty and handling fees cost me £70. That was for four new surrounds - no point just doing the dodgy ones.

It is not a difficult job providing you have a bit of patience.

I set the proac studio 200's up with a pair of Quad ii's, an arcam AV9 pre and a TT2 with a Cambridge audio phono stage, and an Arcam CD37.

They are GREAT. I normally use Celestion A3's but these, my other half says, are calmer. They have a great soundstage, good separation and I was surprised by the levels of bass.

So if you get some of these with dodgy surrounds I would say - go for it and refoam them. They are cheap on ebay with perished surrounds and an easy fix!

Excellent news. And thanks for posting back.

Sounds like £70 and a bit of effort has got you a great pair of speakers.

So if you get some of these with dodgy surrounds I would say - go for it and refoam them. They are cheap on ebay with perished surrounds and an easy fix!

I think you've identified a viable business opportunity!

Its a good business opportunity for sure; however...

I had never heard a decent pair of proac's, and I now I have I am mightily impressed.

I am now left with the problem of keep or sell. I currently have Celestion A3's, Tannoy monitor gold's and Celestion Ditton 66's as my 'don't wanna sell' speakers but the Proac's belong in that list as well. decisions decisions!!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom