1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ProAc Studio 140?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kenny44, Mar 26, 2005.

1. kenny44

kenny44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have anyone gotten around to listen to these yet? I was going for the B&W 703's(only listened to these for a few minutes in a bad listening room), but I've always had a soft spot for ProAc(sound and looks) and now that these brand new babies have turned up I'm feeling a bit in a dilemma. They were first shown off in late february(at the Bristol show) and should have been avaliable through ProAc retailers for a few weeks now, but I live in Norway and there's not many ProAc retailers around. Here in Norway these ProAc's are "only" £300 cheaper than the 703's!

I'm a bit wary of the treble in the 703's compared to the soft dome of the ProAc's, that they've inherited from the Response series. I hate harsh and hisssssing treble, and from what I've read the 703's are a bit sensitive to what they're paired with on the amplification front. The speakers will only be used in a stereo-setup with Electrocompaniet EC4.7 and EC AW120DMB(2x120W in 8OHM).

Hopefully someone can help me with som impressions on the ProAc's, because I'm leaning more to them, but it's difficult since I probably must buy them unheard.(Of course with a 30 day money back guarantee)

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kenny,

I have been waiting for my dealership to take stock of the new Studio 140's but they should be in soon and i will definitly have a good listen to them once they do.
    They are supposed to be very good speakers for Hi Fi as all ProAc's are, i own at present the D15's and if they are anything like them they will be good, i have never heard the B&W's 703's so i can't really comment.
    It maybe worth takeing the Risk and trying them out and if you don't like them then use the 30 day money back guarantee but i am sure you will like them.
    If you do get them let us know what you think of them.. :)

Cheers
    John

3. kenny44

kenny44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been in touch with the dealer and they won't be available here until mid/late-april, but I think I'll have a go and try them out. They are very expensive here in Norway(£1699) compared to in the UK(£1399), but still it's not as expensive as the £2000 703's.

I for one am very excited about these speakers, because they've inherited very much from the more expensive ProAc's. The new 1" soft dome is like the ones from the Response series and there's new mid/bass drivers in them. It's also floor ported as the Response series as well as a "reworked" crossover. This "trickle down" thing as many loudspeaker manufacturers now do is very good for people who want good sounding speakers at an affordable price.

I've also found out that ProAc usually are a very good match with my Electrocompaniet equipment, so there'll be no problems on that front. If you(Recruit) or anyone else get a listen to them before I get them, please reply with your thoughts on the speaker.

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    I heard a short demo of the 140's at Bristol. Very good sound, nice and warm which I like. No chance of a sharp/hissing treble IMO. :thumbsup:

5. kenny44

kenny44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my ProAc's Studio 140 in maple have arrived! Too bad my amp is away to get upgraded then. I'll probably have it back tomorrow hopefully!

Here's a few pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Kenny they look Fantastic mate :thumbsup: once you have got you're amp sorted let us know what they sound like, i do like the ports be under the speaker as it makes positioning alot simpler.

Cheers
    John

7. kenny44

kenny44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My amp (Electrocompaniet AW120DMB, bottom left in picture)is back, and I'm ready to give my new speakers a long run-in time, but after only a few hours run-in I'm already veeery happy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll keep you posted on my views, but the very first thing that struck me was sweet mid's and highs, but the bass.....oh my god....it goes very deep. It's a dry and fast bass that could spell the end of my SVS PC-Ultra in my system when playing music! It's not an overpowering bass, it blends in nicely with the mid and treble, but it reaches very deep. Deeper than any speaker I've ever heard before.

I've heard that ProAc speakers generally needs a long run-in time. Do anyone know how long?

8. zygote23

zygote23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,
    I am about to demo these Proac 140's in the morning. I tried a pair of Triangle Antal's yesterday but the bass was immense. My room is 18ft by 12 so I am hoping the proacs will be a little more manageable. In the pics above you seem to have them quite close to the wall. I'll have them a little further out I think. Also I'd like to know what they are set on. Looks like rubber blocks from here. I am thinking granite slabs if I can get em.

Using with an icon Audio 40i amp and project xperience TT.

9. RustyZip

RustyZip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Zygote....
    Im thinking of demo'ing the Proac 140 speakers too..

If you wouldnt mind, please let me know how you get on with the demo.
    I'd be most interested..

Cheers..
    RustyZip..

10. zygote23

zygote23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought em!!

Demo wasn't in the best of places ie. the shop floor but you gotta make do with what you are given. 30 mins was ll it took and I was in love. I've got them setup right now running them in and tinkering with position.

Gimme a couple more days and I'll tell you a little more.

11. RustyZip

RustyZip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Cheers mate...
    Will look forward to it...

12. zygote23

zygote23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok here goes. They are still a long way from run in. I'm guessing another couple of weeks at least. They still need a little tinkering with placement (see pic) and I really will have to get some granite to put them on as the spikes just will not go through the carpet!! Also I have them connected to the amp via some really crappy Gale biwire cable (I haven't biwired the speakers though!). So thats the bad points out of the way. What are they like?
    [​IMG]

The simple answer is awsome. I wanted speakers that disappeared and just left me with the music. I dug out some old vinyl and was amazed at the clarity and sound stage of this kit. Ok so the amp is warm and creates a great depth of field but the proac's just finish the setup perfectly. I've listened constantly all weekend to music from Simon & Garfunkel, King Crimson, Tangerine Dream, Jeff Buckley (Oh my F***ing God!!!), some ECM Jazz and a load of mental techno and this kit has excelled at everything. I cant wait to get some proper stone to set these speakers on and a decent length of cable as well.

Hope this helps anyone make a decision.

13. zygote23

zygote23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yea the rest of the kit

[​IMG]

14. Freshfighter

Freshfighter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post here...

I'm interested in these speakers too. I currently have Monitor Audio S1 bookshelves, but for my taste in music (rock/metal) their bass output is too limited. So I was thinking of upgrading to the Gold Signature series (GS20) or maybe these ProAc Studio 140's. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare these?

15. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Dealer told me around 100hrs when I bought my Response 1.5D's

First couple of days I set them up in the spare room running with an old CD player & amp - set tem up facing each other as this offers some noise cancelation.

16. zygote23

zygote23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fresh I've used Monitor Audio speakers since around 1985 and was considering an upgrade to the GR or GS. I love the MA sound although it can be a little bright at times and their finish is second to none.

These proacs seriously rock though and I mean seriously! See if you can audition a pair. They are as tight as hell.

17. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

18. zygote23

zygote23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are Cherry veneer. Thinking about some LFD cables....anyone got any ideas?

19. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Originally ran mine with some QED stuff, but noticed a great improvement when I moved up to bi-wire with Nordost Blue Heaven. Top top cable.

20. zygote23

zygote23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Major panic here at the mo. Was just about to switch the lot off last night after a long session listening to some new vinyl. noticed a high pitched signal from the left speaker. It went away after I turned off and on again thank god. Any ideas?