1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proac Response vs Dynaudio Contour

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sjp21, May 8, 2003.

1. sjp21

sjp21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm in the process of upgrading my home-cinema system for a system which is equally musical. I recently upgraded my AV amp (Pioneer E07) to a TAG AV32R and Primare power amp. While I'm very happy with movies, the music performance is still dissapointing. The next upgrade I'm planning is to replace the M&K S85's I'm using as front speakers for a more musical alternative. I've narrowed the choice to either:

ProAc Response 1sc
    Dynaudio Contour 1.1

Hope to be able to demo both over the weekend. Any comments on the relative merit of each would be welcome. Are the ProAcs really worth the extra cash? Due to the size of my living room I'm keen to have physically small speakers (I have a REL 201 for the bass). Any other alternatives worth consideration?

At the moment I'm using a Tosh 900e for both DVD and CD replay. The next logical step will be to change to a TAG CD transport. Not sure whether to upgrade the speakers first or purchase the CD player. Anyone have any views on which upgrade would add most to the system?

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Not having heard any of your kit, I am hesitant to give advice so will instead phrase this as a question you and others could answer:

Surely the musical abilities of the S85's are superior to the CD playback of the Tosh?

ie. I'd bet you see a better result going TAG transport. Source is all-important IMO.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2nd a CD Player upgrade, even a good £500 CDP will blow away the Toshiba DVD player, either a decent integrated CDP or using a CD transport to the AV32R.

Looking at getting a Tag CD transport myself, the non sync-link version. Still quite expensive though :(

4. sjp21

sjp21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nobber and Nathan

Thanks for your thoughts. I think you may be right - although I'm sure the Tosh has good CD playback for a DVD player, I think its out of depth with the rest of the system. I'm still not convinced the M&K's are as good with music as they are with movies. Looks like I may have to demo the CD before the speakers to find out!

The CD options would probably be between the TAG CD20TR (for the sync link) or a Meridian 507. No doubt if I do this I'll be even more tempted to upgrade the speakers! Bank manager here I come..

Any views on the ProAcs or Dynaudio still welcome!

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I know you are happy with the DVD ability of the Tosh, but you could sell it and put the money towards a TAG DVD player for the best of both worlds in one box? I'd ask my TAG dealer if you could take a DVD32R home for a few days. :smashin: Those S85's may surprise you.

6. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not compard them but would be interested in your conclusion. I went for the Proac hexa's in the end because of their size principally and the ease of hanging them on the wall. The Dyn's will shortly be upgraded/changed so a few ex dems will be coming up.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I cant remember which proacs i heard at bristol £900 a pair is all i can remember and they blew me away awsome, pity size puts B&W out of reach!

8. sjp21

sjp21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nobber

Upgrading to a TAG DVD would be the ideal solution if funds permitted. However, I could get both the TAG CD transport and new speakers for significantly less. Surely the TAG isn't that good?!!

Gazzeer & Horny Dragon

I might try and listen to the Proac Hexa speakers as well. I had ruled these out on the basis that their spec didn't look like a significant upgrade from my M&K S85s. I'm not convinced satellite speakers are really suitable for quality hi-fi. Even the ProAc Response 1sc, which are considered small for hifi speakers, are quite a lot bigger than the Hexa/M&Ks.

I did think about the B&W Nautilus 805's as an option, although the reviews I've read on the Dynaudio and ProAcs Response led me to believe that the performance was not far off the B&W's.

9. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Dunno about the 1.1s, but IME the Contour 1.3 Mk. IIs are better all around than the N805s by a considerable margin. The only area the 805s might edge the Dyns is in treble sweetness, but it may have had more to do with the amps I was using to demo them (*much* more expensive amp with the B&Ws). I think the Contours are absolute top quality speakers.

Another model you might consider are the £999 ATC SCM-12s. Fantastic speakers, them.

Cheers,

Dunc

10. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't heard the ProAcs, but I am very, very happy with my Contour 1.1s.

I am using a humble Arcam AVR-200, and they sound superb with music and great with movies.

I assume that you plan to use a sub with them ? - I am using the good ol' Rel Q100.

BTW - I think that ProAc use Danish speaker units as well ?

/BJ (Proud Dane :) )

11. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The additional bass of the Contour 1.3s is worth it over the 1.1s IMHO. Also, at the moment 1.3s can be had for less than a grand, which is a bargain.

12. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that the extra bass of the 1.3s is worth it, if they are used without a subwoofer. I listened to both, and the midrange and treble sounded the same to me. Since I use mine with a sub, I went for the smaller 1.1s......

Where can you get 1.3s for less than a grand ??? - what a deal ?

I paid around 600 quid for my 1.1s from Germany.....

/BJ

13. sjp21

sjp21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Quick update. I haven't got round the demoing the speakers yet. Saw a refurbished TAG CD transport on the TAG site for sale and purchased that - should be here tomorrow. I'll give the S85's a stay of execution until I hear the result.

Funds permitting I will still probably upgrade the front speakers shortly. I'm currently using S85s in the front and Def Tech 80s as rear speakers. Updgrading the fronts would then allow my to move the S85s to the rear. The Proac 1sc is still top of my list, although I won't choose until I get a demo of the Proac vs Dynaudio. I've got an REL 201, so I'm not sure I'll need the extra bass of Dynaudio 1.3.

Doesn't appear to be any owners of the Proac 1sc on this forum. Seems to get rave reviews elsewhere.

14. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I was also torn between M&K's and 'hi-fi' speakers and in the end plumped for the 'hi-fi' ones. Although, it was a top end M&K system (can't remember the number but they were the square ones), it sounded pretty good for music but as with all M&K set-ups, they are a sub/sat package. Without the sub working correctly and in tandem with your main speakers, then the set-up will be seriously compromised. Admittedly, the M&Ks I heard were partnered with a HGS-18 (£2000+ sub woofer), so it was very difficult to make a judgement on just the main speakers.

I guess that I preferred at least some of the lower bass coming from the main speakers so went for a pair of Monitor Audio Gold Reference 20s. Large floorstanders and very musical. In addition to that, they also look pretty as a piece of furniture and a few options with regards to surround duties. They may be too large for you but I understand that the bookshelf MA10's have much the same properties. The other advantage (IMHO) is that they are not wholly dependant on a sub so I can at least try both options whereas with the M&Ks you have to use the sub regardless.

With regards to cost, I picked mine a 6 month old immaculate pair from ebay for £920 with at least 18months warranty remaining. I also found out yesterday that a certain company sells these at pretty good discounts i.e ref 20's for about £1150(ish) when the retail is £1500. I have never seen these discounted so that is why I started looking for second hand versions.

Anyway, happy listening.

simon

15. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Audio T, Audio Excellence and Cornflake were all selling off ex-dem ones for around that price :)

There's a new model on the way, apparently....

16. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Any links? I'm after a pair of Contour 1.3 but want to pay less than £1200 if possible.

17. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    If your using a sub and have the speakers set to small is the lower/extra bass response from the 1.3 of any real advantage?

18. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I'm using a separate stereo amp for music, and so the speakers are getting a full range signal, which is why I'm after a pair of quality standmounts that can handle bass.

19. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, I spent the first few hours listening to my 1.3s before I realised I hadn't reconnected the REL!!

I reckon its worth getting the extra bass from the main speakers, just leaving the sub for the really low end stuff.

Setting the mains to small may be good for movies, but I prefer to feed them a full range signal for music.

As for price: Cornflake, Audio T and Audio Excellence all had some ex-dem advertised for 900 to 1000 quid.

20. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    The ex-dem pair in Cornflake (which I demoed today) are actually £600 - the catch being that they're several years old with scratches all over and have no grilles.

21. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I paid £600 for my 1.3MkIIs - 6 months old, perfect nick :) They were s/h off a mate (in Portugal).

However, my local Dynaudio dealer in Lisbon would have sold me a new pair for about £700 because the Contour 1.4s are on their way.

Michael.

22. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    £700?!!

Will you get me a pair and I'll pay you £100 for shipping to the UK? :)

23. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Dont really know how relevant this is, but I have the ProAcs and they are fantastic speakers (use them for music only, with a REL Strata sub), even without the sub, I find they give nice deep controlled bass, music wise. I spent a lot of time (and money) searching for a good pair of speakers and found nothing better than these. You should be able to get a s/h pair for £6-700 if you shop around - try www.x-dem.co.uk.

24. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  25. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Thanks. They gave me a quote of 1400 Euros + 50 p&p for the Contour 1.3. Works out at about £1050, which isn't that much cheaper than the UK. I guess I'll just have to wait for a second hand pair to pop up.

26. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess the strong Euro is killing the deal - it was closer to 1.60 when I bought my speakers (1.39/£ now ! )

Now is the time to buy in the US, but unfortunately Dynaudio is very expensive over there........

/BJ

27. caylem

caylem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What were you charged for tax & vat when importing your speakers?

I'm looking at the audience 42s or 52s for rear speakers (Currently have 62s at the front)

28. sjp21

sjp21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Its been a while since my last update on the CD vs speaker upgrade query.

If anyones interested the TAG CD transport has now been returned for a refund. Either the Toshiba 900e DVD player is exceptional at playing CDs or the M&K S85's can't reveal the extra details with the TAG transport. I suspect its the latter. Either way I made the decision that the CD transport wasn't worth purchasing with my current speakers. So its back to the speakers again! Still keen on the ProAcs and will hopefully be purchasing soon (subject to reponses to my separate query).

29. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Just brought home a pair of Contour 1.1 for a home demo. They sound fantastic and I'm not sure that I'll be returning them! I wanted to home-demo a pair of Contour 1.3 as well but Audio-T in Hampstead will only loan out a pair at a time.

30. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    sjp21 ... out of interest - and sorry if this has been asked before - but do you use the digital connection to your TAG AV32R ... and if you use analogue connection do you have the version of the TAG with the bypass, and do you use and "DSP" effects (PLII Music, Neo 6, etc)?

If you use either digital connection especially the transport itself will have very little effect on the final sound quality.

Vikki