PROAC Response D25 - Any comments or feedback?

MJeeves

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at upgrading my PROAC Response 2 stand speakers for some full range PROAC Response D25's.

The D25's are the newest incarnation of the highly praised Response 2.5's. Does anyone have any comments, feedback or reviews on the D25's?

How do they sound? Will they be a big improvement over what I currently have? Any set-up tweaks or advice?

Any feedback welcome and appreciated. Thanks!:thumbsup:

M.J - I used to own the ProAc Response D15's and if my room would of been big enough i would of jumped at the D25's they are superb speakers and loved the sound, they are everything a speaker should be musically and the dynamics are superb and bass is nice and taught but deep too :thumbsup: If you have the room then go for it mate...:)

I agree, the Proacs are amazing loudspeakers. With the right amplification, they produce real music rather than noise. There's very few speakers i have heard that are so open and detailed and easy on the ear at the same time.

They're my favourite hifi speakers at the moment. Just make sure the amps up to the job :)

Helicon said:
I agree, the Proacs are amazing loudspeakers. With the right amplification, they produce real music rather than noise. There's very few speakers i have heard that are so open and detailed and easy on the ear at the same time.

They're my favourite hifi speakers at the moment. Just make sure the amps up to the job :)

Thanks guys!

My room is approx. 12 foot by 15 foot, so it's not massive. The amps I have is an Audio Research SP9 valve pre-amp feeding to Michell Alecto 100watt power amps. Good cabling too and a top flight CD player from Tube Technology.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

The Alecto's should do a fine job with them, but just make sure first!

Good review.....i want a pair even more now!! Damn you! :)

Thanks for your help guys. What I really want is a rythmic and emotive loudspeaker that has nice unforced and smooth treble, warm and lush midrange, and a tight, tuneful and deep bass. The smoothness is important.
Is this the speaker?

MJeeves said:
Thanks for your help guys. What I really want is a rythmic and emotive loudspeaker that has nice unforced and smooth treble, warm and lush midrange, and a tight, tuneful and deep bass. The smoothness is important.
Is this the speaker?

M.J - The only way to be sure is go and Dem them preferably with you're kit hooked up to them, but i am sure you will love them....

Great speakers. They will probably be my next speakers.
At these levels you can request a demo at your home with your own equipment so you can't go wrong.

Hi,
I'd second the home demo option. My understanding is that they need quality amplification to get the best out of them (mind you don't all good speakers).
Antz

Well, I've just demo'ed the D25 and after 2 hours I have come to the conclusion that they eat my room alive. The bass is waaaaayyyy to much for my room and the whole sound is too overblown and "big". Even with my REL sub (which I used with my Proac Response 2's) turned off, the D25's are still wayyyy to much for my room. What do you guys think of the D15's ?

That is a shame M.J :( the Response D15's are very nice too but definitly not as good as the D25's but i am sure they will be an improvement over you're existing speakers...

recruit said:
That is a shame M.J :( the Response D15's are very nice too but definitly not as good as the D25's but i am sure they will be an improvement over you're existing speakers...

I know. I heard then down my dealers and the D25's were awesome, but in my room they were just too "BIG" on sound (and because of that a bit slow and woolly as well). The bass was swamping the rest of the music.

In what way do you think the D15's are inferior? Is it just in the bass extension? If so, they may well be the ones for me.

Alternatively, I am still very happy with my Proac Response 2's and they are 14 years old!

MJeeves said:
In what way do you think the D15's are inferior? Is it just in the bass extension? If so, they may well be the ones for me.

M.J - both drivers are superior to the D15's which are different designs to the D25's therefore everything just sounds so much more superior bass/mids/treble and obviously the extension is alot better too because of cabinet size, don't get me wrong i loved my D15's, i now run with Wilson Benesch Discovery's which i love but will always have a soft spot for ProAc's....:)

Just come back from a dem at my dealers, Progressive Audio in Kent. Dave Harvey, the owner has so much gear it's unreal and he's such a nice and knowledgeable guy. The system I listened to was a Moon CD player, quality amps I can't remember, and the Proac Response D25's (which I was looking at purchasing). The sound in Dave's room was in a word "awesome". The bass was fantastic, detailed, extended, and punchy and crisp when needed. It was superbly controlled. The midrange was so lifelike and "breathy" without any hint of hardness or sibulence (my bugbear!). The treble was extended and detailed but again there was nothing wearing or glassy about the sound. The imaging was spectacular too. I would have gone for the Proac Response D25's and Dave was kind enough to let me borrow them. Sadly, my excitement was premature as in my small room at home, the D25's were just "too much". They were overwhelming for the room and the bass was headache inducing (even without a subwoofer). Dave has now lent me the smaller Proac's, the Response D15's for the week. I'll let you know how I get on, but BUT what I will say is... if you get a chance to hear the Proac Response range in a sizable room and you are after a great pair of floorstanding speakers, you have to hear these. They are, in the right room with the right gear, the BEST speaker I have ever heard (and I have heard quite a few). I really recommend the Proac Response D25's as all types of music are reproduced with fantastic rhythm, scale, imaging and neutrality. Even poor recordings are rendered superbly and made more than listenable. These are great speakers and I only wish I had the room for them! I also recommend Progressive Audio for the great dem, knowledge and service. Dave is a great guy and I look forward to my next dem/purchase. Thanks!

There are some seriously good loudpeakers in that price range and the Vienna Beethoven Concert Grand and Wilson Benesch Arcs both of which are in a similar price bracket to the Pro-acs sounded so good at Bristol a couple of weeks ago that I would have happily bought either pair, except for the fact that I knew that they would need a larger room than mine to sing properly.

The ProAc Response range are all very good speakers infact superb in the right setups, i have been fortunate to hear nearly all the range including the D38 and D80's and these were with Meridian 800 series kit and the only word is " stunning " that i could describe the sound but you need to have them in a room the size of a GYM to let them breathe properly :eek:

recruit said:
The ProAc Response range are all very good speakers infact superb in the right setups, i have been fortunate to hear nearly all the range including the D38 and D80's and these were with Meridian 800 series kit and the only word is " stunning " that i could describe the sound but you need to have them in a room the size of a GYM to let them breathe properly :eek:

I think with the new(ish) design with the bass port in the bottom of the speaker, the larger Proac's are now less "fussy" about placement than the older designs with the bass port in the rear were. They must be alot more flexible now with this innovative design. At Progressive Audio it was obvious after only a few seconds in Dave's room and set-up that the D25's were a world class speaker. Stunning is a good word. Likewise, after only a few seconds in my room I knew that they were too big sounding for my room.

I'm now listening to the D15's in my room. Anyone else got these or had these?

Jeevesy said:

I used to have a pair of D15's which i owned for a couple of years and they sounded very good but are defintly outshined by the D25's, but they are a lovely speaker to live with...

I might try and borrow a pair of D25's as i have now had my room treated and see what they sound like, it has got my curiosity back :rolleyes:

Out of the older PROAC Response 2's or the newer PROAC Response D15's, what would you guys go for?

Jeevesy said:
Out of the older PROAC Response 2's or the newer PROAC Response D15's, what would you guys go for?

Only ever listened to the newer Response D series so cannot comment on the older range :(

Jeevesy said:

I've got these in a lovely Yew finish, look and sound fantastic in my set up. Don't really have a problem with them in my room (12x14ft) but can imagine with a little bigger room they would sing even more.
Can't really compare to any other ProAc's as I swapped from Monitor Audio florstanders.
They do take a while to run in as well, 100hrs was recommended from my dealer - If you do buy a pair get them set up in the spare room running nice and steady for a few days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom