1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro V - what does it (and others) do?...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SanPedro, Nov 20, 2002.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Dear all

i have a PT AE100 which fellow list members tell can be improved by a Pro V. What does it do, where can I get it and how much is it?

And is it similar to this widget on lektropacks

http://www.lektropacks.co.uk/dept.asp?dept_id=104

its the
    VIDEO TO XGA CONVERTER WITH PC & AUDIO BYPASS
    Order Code:- CM340
    Converts Video to 640x480 VGA, 800x600 SVGA or 1024x768 XGA.

Cheers

Chris

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Chris,

the ProV takes in a video signal in composite or Svideo form, and outputs the video signal as VGA, SVGA or XGA, suitable for feeding into a projector. The XGA signal is preferrable to feeding the projector a composite or Svideo signal because the XGA signal is progressive scan. The ProV has a built-in TV tuner, but will only ouput mono sound from the tuner.

I find it brill for feeding a tv signal through, or PS2. gives a very smooth picture, compared with feeding composit video from VCR to projector.

DVD by Svideo to ProV and then onto Proj is very good imho - you'll read posts with differing opinions - ymmv.

For further details try starting here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=52922

For details of Interlaced vs. Progressive Scan check out the appropriate part of the forum.

You can get the ProV here

http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/tv4000.htm

they call it XGA Theater, identical to ProV, and brilliant service from scancom.

You can also get it from

http://web6.scan.co.uk/Products/Info.asp?WPID=32945,

they occasionally run it at a cheaaper price in their today only section which you can find here:

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/index.htm

Good Luck,

Sean G.

3. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Sean

What is the Pro V actually doing to the signal? How does it improve the image?

Cheers Chris

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Chris,

A full technical description of exactly what the Prov is doing is prob beyond me - in effect it de-interlaces the incoming video signal (whose frames are made up of alternating even and unevenly numbered lines see explanations in progressive scan part of forum for more details) and outputs it as a progressive scan image scaled in a format suitable for displaying on a computer display, such as a lcd projector. It alllows the display to be set as vga (600x400) svga (800x640) or xga (1024x768). Xga is generally agreed to be the best setting. The effect is to smooth out the image, eliminate practically all jagged edges which would otherwise arise form an interlaced signal, and eliminate scan lines which would normally come from tv signals.

I find it brill for tv signal - gives a very acceptable picture, with the caveat that if the tv signal is rough to begin with, then it won't work miracles ( silk purse and sows ear words occur). For DVD I also find it very good, but it is definitely not as good as a hcpc - my laptop, which is bog standard, but using a custom display setting of 848x480 retrieves more colour and detail, and also eliminates all jagged edges and artifacts, giving a picture which has more "snap" than anything else I've seen. Other guys here with better custom built pcs and a pixel perfect display setting (ie exactly matched to the resolution of the lcd panels in the projector) of 856x480 for the AE100, are in picture quality nirvana.

Hope this helps - you've really got to see it yourself to decide if its worth it to you.

See ya,

Sean G.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not me :eek:

But nothing a little HS-10/DVI/HTPC won't solve ;)

Hi Sean.

Will be in touch when we're "up".

Later.....

6. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Sean

Basically I want to improve the image off my projector. Movies generally look good. It's my Skybox that looks crap. On my old 2nd hand projector the sky on screen menus looked nice and smooth (the colour balance, contrast and general noise was the problem).

text has this 'fizzy' edge to it, which I'm told is mainly 'cos its a composite signal

Will this gadget smooth out the onscreen menus? And will it do anything to improve shadow areas?

If so its sounds like the gadget to have.

Cheers

Chris

BTWwhat does it cost to get into HTPC? Can any old PC be adapted? And why do this instead of buying a damn good DVD player?

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The ProV does help the text quite a bit. The fuzzy edges of the text and graphics become more defined although there is obviously still some imperfections due to the composite input and the nature of the Sky transmission.

In terms of dark areas I did the classic Matrix test once on the scene where Morpheus is talking to Neo in his cell type room. The ProV allowed much more detail to come through of the background areas such as the wall and floor, and better details in the shaded parts of Morpheus's face. This was partly due to the scaling and partly due to the wide range of picture adjustment the ProV offers (Tint, Brightness, Contrast, Saturation etc).

Have you seen this thread yet?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/show...&perpage=40&highlight=shockabuku&pagenumber=1

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Chris,

The thread posted by Liam should answer your questions about benefit of ProV for TV. I don't have Sky Digital, I'm on cable, but it really makes an improvement. If I didn't have the ProV, I wouldn't really get the value of the PJ for tv stuff - dramas, documentaries and football, of course.:D

The choice of a hcpc instead of a DVD player is that you can get a hcpc to play dvds putting out a progressive scan signal scaled to match the resolution of you projector perfectly - this is the best quality picture available.
    You can also use a tv card to capture tv signal an output it via the HCPC.

You could uses a pc as a scaler, capturing dvd or tv signal, and using the pc to scale the signal for your pc.

How much does it cost to get into a HCPC ? - can't say definitively - see this thread on the HCPC side for a start.... http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=23452

You should also look here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=40226

but most importantly, read your way through the posts for the last three months on the hcpc side of the forum..... particularly the posts entitled "pull hair out and bang head against wall" and "total ruin $$$" :D

Seriously, theres loads of info, and plenty of knowledgable folk to answer questions - but do the reading first.

All the best,

Sean G.

9. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Sean

What's the best for connecting to the pro V. Will be taking the plunge today. Should I use a really short lead from source to Pro V and then a long DIN plug to the projector?

cheers

Chris

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Chris,

That sound about right - I have a very short Svideo lead connecting the DVD player into the ProV, and similar short composite and VGA lead for VCR and Laptop passthru' respectively. The ProV is connected to the Projector by a 10m high quality XGA lead - the projector is mounted on the ceiling at the opposite end of the room from the equipment. I find no signal quality/loss problems with this setup.

Be sure to set the "sharpness" level on the ProV fairly low when using TV via composite signal - you can increase it a bit for DVD thru Svideo, according to your taste. Have a look for an earlier thread about ProV settings for some suggestions.

Good luck,

Sean G.

Good luck

11. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Sean

Pro V arrived yesterday. Set up, tweaked it, sat back in revelation. WOW what a difference - SKY is now really watchable. It should be standard issue for any projector owner.

BTW what settings do you have yours at?

Off to watch Attack of the Clones tonight.

Cheers

Chris

12. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How much are they?

This might sound ludicrous but i intend to feed my projector with a sky signal via video sender. The reason being i dont want to move sky into garage which will mostly be used for DVD viewing. And i cant run cables easily from sky box . So video sender is the easy option just now, though i may change my mind once i see the results.

13. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Chris,

Glad it does the biz for you. Not sure if I can remeber my settings - someting like

Brightness 85
    Contrast 170
    Saturation 170
    Hue 127
    Sharpness 3 for tv, about 7 for DVD

I ususally ramp up the contrast on the AE100, and cut back the green in the R G B settings.

Good luck

Sean G.

14. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    rooster

The proV is great - SKY TV is now watchable rather than unbearable. Cost? I paid £157 inc VAT and carriage for the Scancom XGA Theatre (see above link for URL). This also include 10m of high quality cable at about £40.

No idea how the wireless sender would work as the signal has to come out of the box to do its stuff via the D plug.

Best suggestion, get the old blakndekka out and give that wall some knocking about. You know it's worth it.

I was a bit circumspect about it at first, but now that it is set up I wouldn't consider not having it.

Chris

15. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Rooster,

if the video sender you intend to use has a composite video output (normally a yellow RCA or "cinch" type connector), then you can feed that into the composite video input of the ProV, and comnnect the ProV to the PJ via the VGA cable as normal. This assumes that the video sender also has normal audio output (red and white connectors) which should be connected to your amp/whatever.

I can't comment on what the video quality from the sender will be like - as I've posted already, my experience is that if you have a dodgey video signal, the ProV won't do miracles.

When I set mine up, I had to install a new dedicated cable run for the cable tv - the signal which was at the outlet in my movie room seemed ok on a tv, but on the PJ it was absolutely horrible. The new cable run sorted it out, though I noticed a trace of ghosting recently (before the bloody thing broke down last week :mad: ).

Good luck,

Sean G.

16. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Chris,

update on settings to tweak with...

have a look here for alternative settings:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=53831

My ae100 is out of action at the mo so I can't check exactly what I'm using now - I think my last post recalled it correctly...

I never got round to getting the Hoya FLD filter - maybe Santa will do the necessary !

Sean G.

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Rooster, you should be aware that this thread relates specifically to the AE100. If you have something different, best spit it out, the pro-v was useless with my NEC, and little better with my sanyo I have now. But I've seen it in action where it has worked, and it can be good.