Pro-V issues again

T

TimF

A similar thread discusses the problem of getting a darkening and lightnening cycle on Panny 100 PJ when fed via Pro V from a DVD source.

Problem is apparantly due to Macrovision

Funny thing is I thought I had bought a Sony DVD player with no macrovision (900 - multiregion mod)!

Anyway I need to resolve this problem.

I find the output from the RGB on my DVD to be too dark (on Philips TV) so a RGB to S-video converter seems a non starter (unless some one has experience of using one in this combo of Sony 900 DVD, ProV and Panny 100?)

Any body got any other fixes (box of tricks) or ideas to sort this problem just using S video cabling?

Many thanks

Tim

Tim,

I'm using an s-video connection from my DVD player to the ProV and haven't seen the Macrovision effect through my AE100.

The player is the Toshiba 210E which was multi-regioned (if there is such a word) before purchase. I don't know if Macrovision was disabled at the same time, though I suppose it must have been.

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Spoke to a helpful bloke at Keene electronics - they do a macrovision disabler box with s-video connections for £54.

Ordered one - will post results when rec'd and fixed up.

For anyone interested Maplins do a module for a video signal cleaner N17AA cost£20 + cost of box about £1.50 and needs power supply. This has solved my problem of light and dark effect with pro v and ptae100. It has Composite in/out and Svideo in/out irradicates macrovision when tested.

The problem is you do have to put it together yourself.

Andrew

Tim,

I've noticed a faint darkening and lightening of picture - and I'm using dvd to Svideo on the ProV. I had thought that this was the lamp, but its the same with the replacement lamp just fitted (it was fitted as part of a fix for the PJ anyhow).

How severe is the problem you describe, and how frequent ? It seems fairly mild to me and I'm wondering if its the same thing.

Thanks,

Sean G.

My problem was that when watching a film eg the dish, when you get a shot of the dish close up it would be white then change to a pink effect as a result.

My dvd player is an old toshiba 2109 multiregion and had problem on most discs.
Some films seem to be worse than others but generally throughout a film it kept happening. No exact cycle but within in a few minutes of start of film it would be noticeble to myself (enough for me to nearly get a new player). but now I can wait a bit as I am now happy.:)

The light/dark problem is quite mild but annoying on a big screen. The box I got from Keene sorted it out completely.

This is basically a Box that allows you to copy DVD to VHS i.e. it strips macrovsion - uses S video in/out.

Cost £54.

Have to say though that Pro V picture is not as good as Tosh 520 prog scan DVD with R1 discs via component - saw a mates and bought this player - all round stronger colours and just as sharp

Cheers

tim, how does the 520 handle PAL? Does it convert to NTSC progressive, or is it component interlaced?

Looking for a fall back position in the likely event of no philips 963 before christmas.

Richard

I was in exactly the same position - waiting for the 963 to come out.

520 does NTSC prog and PAL interlaced

I still am in the market for a PAL progressive player and will probably buy the philips machine (Or Arcam DV88+ if this years bonus is any good!)

Tried a mates 520 on my system and was blown away with the improvement over the sony 900 which I had.

Even with R2 disc in pal interlaced the picture quality is excellent (at least as good as pro-v in my opinion)

Interlaced is not as sharp as progressive but the colours and the overall "feel" of the movie is excellent for a £250 player.

I would recommend this set up - bought mine over the counter multiregion from Leconcepts in Newcastle (also have web site)

A final point the actual 520 box is small and as and when I get pal prog player this will make and excellent 2nd player for the bedroom.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom