pro scan problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jmack, Aug 1, 2002.

1. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having some problems with my lecson 1000
    i have it conected to my tosh plasma via component
    but i dont think its pro scanning my ntsc disks the tosh cant seem
    to pick up the signel but its fine in pal and using s-video but then its not able to pro scan using s-video
    any help please?
    settings etc/
    could it be i am using very cheap phono`s as component leads at the moment

2. chriscarthy

chriscarthy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    progressive scan only works through proper component leads connected to component sockets on both the dvd and tv sides!

3. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plus I've read that the DVD player has the component colour labels mixed up.. Just use the cheap and nasty phono cables for now until you can buy a decent set of component cables.

4. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    also if i remember the lescon has 2 sets of component outs one for interlaced & one for progressive have you connected to the correct outputs

5. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just pushased some very good cables,
    from the pro scan output i can only get pal or auto not ntsc
    from the other component output i get a pink colour screen or blue tried all different ways to connect cables
    from s-video i can get a pure ntsc output?
    in the setting what sould i be sellecting cvbs or yuc or rgb
    and the is another one under that ypbpr?
    is there a setting on the plasma i should sellect i have it on component and auto colour ie pal,ntsc,secam
    should i return it?

6. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    ah i remember now i couldnt get ntsc progressive from the lescon thats why i returned it.

The only way to get round this is to switch your dvd player to pal output in the menu and the player will convert ntsc to pal and you will get pal ps on the ntsc films thats what I had to do, it worked not bad although i could see only a little improvement over interlaced, so I went for the tosh 510 instead.

Quite a few people bought the lescon on this board for the progressive scan but returned them

7. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure that you have... If I can dig up the review of the player I will post the correct configuration for you. Component BTW is Y, Cr, Cy I think (I can never remember it >_<) so make sure you've set it up right.

Found the mag.. Heres a quote...

Hope that made sense!

As for PAL prog.scan... You can't get true pal.prog scan on this player anyway.

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Chic

I thoght it was the other way about, it gave ntsc progressive, but when it was fed a pal dvd in progressive scan it came up as 525p (ntsc) in the projectors menu, but it still played a s a pal progressive image :confused:

9. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    tim you m8 be right i cant remember:confused:

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I wasn't worth remembering, not a very good player in progressive scan, i wonder if they soughted out the progressive fault on it.

11. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    doesnot look like it

12. naturally

naturally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    525p is PAL ps, 480p is NTSC ps

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    naturally: 525P is NTSC progressive.....

There are 525 horizontal lines in a NTSC signal with around 480 being active picture.

Pal is 625 lines with around 576 being active picture content..

Gordon

14. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Yes thats correct, but the Lecson played pal dvd's as progressive scan but it came up as 525p in the projector picture menu :confused: so the Lecson must have been using a pal/ntsc convertor.

15. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems I have exactly the same problem....

I took the plunge and bought a Lecson 1000 in the weekend, as it was so cheap I couldn't resists, or actually my wife while she was shopping....Than again I think it was to disguise the fact that she bought a £150 pair of shoes..... :D Isn't she clever. Last time she did that she bought me a Xbox :D :D

Anyway, yesterday I hooked it up to my Sanyo PLV-30 projector took great care to connect up the Y-Yr-Yb correctly using my 9Ft long Supra Component cables. I also connected up the sVideo using my 9Ft long Supra sVideo cable and connected the Scart to our day-time little telivision.

Yeah the time came to put in a DVD and immediate we were impressed by the sound quality it was good compared to a Kenwood and a Samsung DVD player. Than the picture using sVideo, is was very good much better depth although a bit dark but that was easily adjusted using the projector.

But now it was time for the main feature....progressive scan....What a pile of rubbish...We couldn't read the text on the screen at all, there were lines on the sides using NTSC and at the bottom using PAL. My poor little projector couldn't hold the sync at all, the picture looked like it developed a stotter.....

I called up Debenhams this morning but they proved totally useless. To be fair, I did expact they would have got no clue about progressive scan and what I was talking about. They told me to connect my scart connector in the slot properly and select RGB in the menu.......

The question is, has anyone been able to get a stable progressive scan picture from this player?

I leave it until Saturday as I cannot return earlier.....

Cheers,

Jean-Paul

16. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i still havemine because i lost the receipt and they would not give my cash back. the pro scan does not work at all. and the rgb componant outputs are wrong colour. picture q is not bad but not pro scan
    when i press the pro scan button all that happens is a hand comes up in the corner as a stop sign

17. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jmack,

I have got exactly the same happening, when pressing the PROG button just a little hand pops up. I doubt whether PROG means progressive scan. My projector does not automatically recognise the signal but displays something horrible when I tell it manually to into Y/Yr/Yb mode with either 480p or 525p. Like yourself when connected to the non-progressive component outputs mine displays a pinky colour.

I am sorry to hear that you lost the receipt. Did you loose the warranty as well? Mine came with a (free) two year parts & labour warranty. If you got one of those through Debenhams they should be able to look it up in their computer system as they took your name and address.
    In addition Debenhams are the only ones selling these machines so it shouldn't be difficult to trace it to you. Please note that you have stuatory rights as well besides what Debenhams tells you. I do not know whether £199 pounds is a large enough amount for you to go through the hassle but if it is I would get a consumer association like Watchdog involved if they won't give you a refund. Debenhams hasn't been able to explain how to get pro-scan to work nor has anyone on this forum yet. So the box cleary does not do what it says on the tin, meaning a refund even without a receipt.

I do not even want to go down the warranty repair route as I seriously doubt the ability to do correct progressive scan at all. I will have a feeling that repair will mean numerous visits to the store and by that time my 28 days refund period is over.

Is there anyone that got one of these Lecson DVD-1000 players working?

I am also seriously doubting the credentials of What HiFi and Home Entertainment. Both magazine gaves this machine five stars but they could not possibly have tested the progressive scan features.

18. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I was one of the first to buy the Lecson, (about 6 month's ago) i did get progressive scan working, but it was terrible, i told a Tech head for Debenhams about the progressive fault, they obviously didn't do anything about it as they are still selling them.
    You can get the colour correct from interlaced componant, it just takes some time swapping them round to you get the correct colour as they are colour coded incorrectly.
    Take it back and get a refund, i opted for a Toshiba sd-510 which doe's progressive NTSC but sadly no progressive pal yet :(

19. big.hal

big.hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can prove that you bought it from the shop ie credit card statement bank statement, they are the only shop selling them then you should be able to get a refund. I read on some consumer site, can't remeber where at the moment but you do not have to produce a receipt because they don't have to legally give you a receipt. I'll have a look to see if i can remember where it was.:devil:

Just found this site http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk