Pro or Air?

drb5

I'm sure it's been asked a million times, but on the newest versions, what are the main differences between the Pro and Air MacBooks, if priced similarly?

Is it really down to screens, rather than specs/performance?

Jacket

I'm sure it's been asked a million times, but on the newest versions, what are the main differences between the Pro and Air MacBooks, if priced similarly?

Is it really down to screens, rather than specs/performance?

Pretty much,

if money isn't an issue, the new Retina Pro's are slim and light, not as slim and light as an Air though, so if you want or need the absolute thinnest machine, the Air is the way to go, but for a combination of form factor and power the new Pro's are excellent.

Always best if you can actually go into an Apple store and have a play, although I know not everyone has one near them.

drb5

Thanks for replying buddy.

ATM I'd struggle to get to the Apple store, but I'd love to.

Couldn't afford the Retina Pro, but it does sound the best of all worlds. Think I need to decide if 13" is enough for me and then compare direct specs, but I see the top spec Air is upgradable. Is the SSD a must?

I read somewhere they may end up doing away with seperate Air and Pro models?

Jacket

Thanks for replying buddy.

ATM I'd struggle to get to the Apple store, but I'd love to.

Couldn't afford the Retina Pro, but it does sound the best of all worlds. Think I need to decide if 13" is enough for me and then compare direct specs, but I see the top spec Air is upgradable. Is the SSD a must?

I read somewhere they may end up doing away with seperate Air and Pro models?

The 13" Pro I think is still the most popular MacBook, and it is a great machine, if you don't need the super portability of the air I would go for the 13" Pro.

The thing with an SSD is that once you've had one you won't want to go back lol, they are brilliant and the speed increase is fantastic, with the 13" Pro you could add an SSD later.

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
I had this same question when buying for my Wife late last year. Pro or Air.

I nearly bought her the Air as a surprise, but glad I didn't, as on viewing in our local PCW proved she preferred the Pro.

It now has 8GB RAM and a 120GB SSD installed, for a fraction of the cost that built in upgrades of the Air would have been.

drb5

Thanks guys. It does sound like Pro is the way to go, as I've only just found out I can swap the SuperDrive out for another drive(probably an SSD). That's a huge deal IMO and considering the Air and Pro 13" MB's are starting at the same price, with portability not THAT much different, I'm not seeing enough benefits in going for the Air ATM.

BMW728i

Banned
When I was looking to move to the MacBook from an iMac 27" I looked at the Air a lot as well as the Pro and just felt that the Pro was better suited with having the 15.4" screen.

The Air is good but if you're going to be using it a lot and you don't need the lightness of the Air for transporting then I'd say go for the Pro!

I bought mine off my brother as he moved to the 17" retina model for his photography etc...

I also swapped out the 500GB HDD for a 120GB SSD and its lightening fast! :D

But alas the Pro I've got is overkill for my needs so I'll be selling it after we've moved house in a week or so and downsizing to a 2010 Mac Mini etc... :)

drb5

Funnily enough, I'm moving from a 2011 Mac Mini! Its a great little unit, but i hardly use it. The ipad is so much easier to pick up and browse, but i need something to deal with photos too, as well as films. It makes more sense to me to have one unit than 2 or 3.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom