1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro-Logic2+DD5.1+DTS+sub+speakers-£258 Logitech Z-680

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Rob.Screene, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Logitech Z-680

OK, so I know it's very unlikely it would make a reference level home cinema system, but it's probably an excellent upgrade for millions of NICAM TV's in the UK, Dolby Pro-Logic 2 5.1 sound from any stereo source.

I think it's might be perfect for me since the main AV system moved out in to the home theater/projection room and I miss surround for the X-files, Sky sci-fi, BBC, etc.

Anyone seen, heard or read a review of this?
    regards,
    Rob.

"In order to deliver a premium all-in-one solution, Logitech's Z-680 includes the hardware decoders for Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Surround Pro Logic II."

"The Z-680 delivers room-thumping bass through a 185-RMS watt subwoofer and crystal-clear midrange and highs through four satellites and a center channel, 53 watts RMS each one. The control couldn't be simpler or more elegant: a desktop control center with LCD panel and a wireless remote.

This 5.1 set includes a built-in Dolby® Digital and DTS® hardware decoding system. You can connect the Z-680 directly to a PC sound card, Xbox™, PlayStation®2, DVD player, satellite receiver or other Dolby-ready source and get a true surround experience. You can also get 5.1 surround from a stereo input through the advanced Dolby® Surround Pro Logic II system. Best of all, you can connect up to four inputs simultaneously and access each one with the touch of a button.

The Logitech Z-680: It's the only speaker system you'll ever need... or want.

Feel earth-shaking bass with 450 watts RMS of thunderous power
    Enjoy true 5.1 digital sound with your movies and games with built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoding
    Create surround from stereo music, movies and games with Dolby Pro Logic II
    Simultaneously connect four audio sources, including PCs, video games, DVD, CD and portable audio players
    Command everything with the Digital SoundTouch™ Control Center and wireless remote
    You know that you're getting the truest possible sound quality with THX® certification"

References:
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?p...=698&CONTENTID=5048&countryid=18&languageid=1
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?c...topics&CRID=473&parentCRID=278&contentID=6365
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?c...topics&CRID=473&parentCRID=278&contentID=6364

Noticed on
    dabs.com for £257.32 inc VAT!
    theoverclockingstore.co.uk for £269.06 inc VAT

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Noticed a review with pictures and more details here:
    http://www.3dxtreme.org/logitech_z680_p1.shtml

Don't be put off by the "pc speakers" label.

I had a few sets of the Cambridge Soundworks "creative labs 4.1 4100 speakers" and they work really well for nearfield listening, i.e. moderate volumes in a relatively small room, i.e. most uk living rooms!

I think they will be a great compliment to all those 32 inch widescreen tellies. When I'm feeling flush, I think I'll pick-up a set, learn the remote controller on to my Marantz RC2000 which we use to controll the telly and TIVO (+ntl digital).

This should be a dolby pro-logic 2 + dolby 5.1 amp, 5 speakers and little subwoofer for about £260. I think it'll be brilliant for sky one and a few bbc programs, top gear, etc that I watch on the normal telly, not the projection system.

Anyone got one yet?
    Rob.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have the precursor to the 680's, the 560. The package has the same satellite speakers and sub as the 680, though the 560 is a 4.1 system and relies upon the sound card in your PC for decoding duties.
    I was put off by the lack of a dedicated tweeter for the satellites, thinking the speakers wouldn't be much good with just the one "full range cone". I was wrong. These speakers really are excellent, much better than anything I have heard from the Creative/Cambridge Soundworks stable. The sub in particular is nowhere near as boomy as most PC speaker systems, and can go VERY loud at surprisingly low frequencies (~35-40hz?).

If you are looking for a cheap, effective way to add surround sound to your PC, or TV, then Logitech's 680 speakers are a piece of class.

Russell

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Excellent first news!

Single cone speakers can get around the many phase and frequency problems of trying to integrate two or more different sized drivers.

The infamous Anthony Gallo Micro's are also single cone design I believe? I bet than and their uncoloured dome enclosures are most of why people report they are so uncoloured.

regards,
    Rob.