1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pro logic1 on tv pl2 with amp did not seem far better effects any reason why please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mick23, Jul 20, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    last year there was a film on chan 5 first contact with j/foster and a scene where it was raining heavily, at the time i had tosh nicam tv ,yamaha a5 a/v amp which was pro logic , switching from tv to sky digibox running through yamaha amp the differance in sound was very noticible sounded like a (light shower using tv speakers and a "thunderstorm using the yamaha a5 and 5 speakers) have since changed tv to tosh widscreen which has 2 inbuilt speakers +a center/subwoofer ,i do not use the rears supplied with tv, also now have denon 3802 + b+w 5 speaker setup,on bbc1 i taped sniper there is also a scene with heavy rain at the end, as a trial i played this part of scene using tv speakers only,then through 3802 pl2 cinema mode there was not a significantly better sound effect with amp rather than tv? the only differance is that when i had the yamaha amp front speakers were set to large bass to main etc, current set includes sub with speakers set to small, would the differance in settings be why i dont notice that much differance in tv (3speakers) (amp+5 speakers, sorry if this is long winded thank you

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,089
    Not too sure on this but you say you taped a programme and then played it back to hear the differences. Is this correct?

Did you just you a VCR to tape it?

This could be the reason why you didn't notice a difference in sound.

I know on my 3802 when I watch something back that I have taped the sound quality isn't very good.

Cheers
    Greg

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    replayed yesterday ,muted tv and used amp,muted amp and used tv there was slight differance the sound was (richer) from amp

4. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would expect environmental effects like rain to be similar with PL and PLII, with the sound dispersed around you. That's what Pro Logic does well. PLII is supposed to be better and resolving discrete sounds, and can divide the surround channel to left and right surround (in PL coding, the sound would appear in the left or right front channel as well as the surround channel). The bottom line is, is there any difference in terms of enjoyment of the film?

5. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Dolby Pro Logic enters a nearly passive decoding mode when there are rain effects and such. The sound separation narrows on the left-right axis since the center channel is raised, but so is the surround channel, making the sound envelope you.

Dolby Pro Logic II is designed to be more stable and fast, and no longer uses the passive mode. This means it should appear to behave more like a discrete system and not have a much different sound field than 2-channel reproduction, just more enveloping thanks to the surrounds.

I am not sure what Sniper you mean (the movie?) but it might have been mixed quite differently. Unless it is the movie, it might not even have been mixed in Dolby Surround.

6. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    1) Recording to Vhs can often hert the Sound quality of programs a lot. Having a VCR that is nicam compatable makes a difference as well.

My brothers proline VHS in Hi-FI L+R mode removes hiss and makes videotapes (only tapes form a shop not home recorded) almost as clear as DVD's.

7. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Also you should try contact next time it is on TV to see if it makes a difference.

BTW were you compairing one films soundtrack to another rain in one film is not going to sound the same a rain in another different film.