1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro Logic or Dolby Digital??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by andyp, Jan 8, 2001.

1. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am currently in the process of deciding on a speaker package to suit my recently purchased Sony DB940 AV amp. Before I discovered this excellent forum, I was going to purchase the Sony SA-VE705 Pascal speaker package, which initially appealed to me due to size, design and price, I have yet to hear them though. I now realise that this may not be a good choice, they seem to get slated by almost everybody!

I actually had a good look at a set recently, and was surprised to see that the bass unit had outputs on the back for the satellite speakers?? When talking to a apparently knowledgeable hi-fi and HC retailer, he also concurred that they weren’t much cop in the sound department. He also went on to explain that when they were launched (quite some time ago) they were probably aimed at a Pro-Logic set-up, and therefore they wouldn’t be very good at reproducing Dolby Digital or DTS. This also apparently explains the speakers outputs on the back of the bass unit. Is this true, or BS??

Andy P.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,420
    Whether it's true or not, if you want any kind of decent sound from a DD system, go for 5 speakers which can go down to 80Hz, plus a (decent if you can) subwoofer.
    Yes it will cost more than the Pscal system, but it will most likely (depending, of course on what you get), sound significantly better.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I will go out on a limb and slate the sony speaker system. It's pants.
    Get some good speakers and do your amp justice.
    Buy an active sub too, I promise a massive improvement in sound quality, no doubt. You'd shoot yourself if you missed out on a sub.
    Get some full range-ish speakers to really let Dolby Digital rip and you'll be in AV mental heaven!

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the same (RRP £400) price as the 'Pascal' system you could do a lot worse than the Mission 6 Pack. Highly rated by HCC anyway.

5. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Many thanks for the replies and advice - most appreciated. I had actually already decided to drop these Sony speakers, based on comments on this forum, magazine reviews and advice from retailers.

And, oh yes - I will definitely be going for a seperate sub you can be sure!

Andy P.