Pro-Logic II vs Pro-Logic

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by b33k34, May 23, 2005.

1. b33k34

b33k34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm completely new to home theatre so I'm riding a bit of a learning curve going on at the moment. I'd always been a bit dubious about the benefits of home theatre before but watching my first few 5.1 movies at home last night was stunning. The effects are so much better than at the cinema due to your near perfect positioning in the sound stage.

Anyway, what I'm wondering about is what to use for normal TV transmissions. I've currently got my TV setting as pro-logic II in movie mode. My amp, however also has 'old' pro-logic as a different input. I've done a bit of reading on the Dolby site and elsewhere and it appears pl-II is backwards compatible. What situations might i want to use PL-I for rather than PL-II?

Kit:
    NAD743amp, 513 DVD, Monitor Audio Radius 270LR/225C/90S/360sub.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    IMO the only reason for putting DPL1 on a receiver is so you can go back to it to see how much better DPL2 is :D
    Seriously though, DPL1 is poor compared to DPL2 and IMO should not be used - same as the DSP effects such as 'stadium' etc. They are OK to play with, but not something I would use for general listening on my system.

If your system has it also try DTS Neo6 as some people prefer this to DPL2.

Mark.

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    There aren't any possible reasons that I can think of why you'd want to use the original PL over PL2, PL2 is much better in every way. Unfortunately neither will do a great job with a mono soundtrack. :)

4. b33k34

b33k34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't expect much in mono! All UK tv is made/tx'd in stereo as far as i'm aware - PL-II did something very odd and swoopy with the C4 news theme tune for example.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    For mono signals DPL/2 will cause all of the sound to come out of the centre speaker (not necessarily a bad thing but stereo is usually better in this case). It can also be said that if the signal quality is poor DPL2 will struggle to work properly which may explain the "swoopy" C4 news theme, alternatively it may have been mastered by the engineers to do exactly that. :)

6. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use PL2 for any sources with matrix encoding and Neo:6 for stereo sources. For mono movies its worth looking to see if your amp has a "mono movie" mode, yamaha amps do and it puts most of the sound in the centre channel with a bit of ambience from the others :)

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i find that pro logic (one) is better for sound leakage into the left and right channels actually. For speach on PL2 i hear wierd distorted bits of speech (really slight squeaks) in the L+R channels, however i find DTS neo 6 better than all of them! For me its a shame the surround channels for original pro logic are so boring.

Also if you use outputs from your tv which are processed by the TV (i.e. vol changes and loudness/bass effects) try turning on dolby virtual, or effect, or virtual surround on the TV, it sounds so cool when decoded with PL2!!!

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I could be wrong but doesn't the 'mono movie' DSP simulate a mono movie theater, i.e. it's actually not intended to be applied to mono sources, instead creates a mono environment (from stereo/DD/DTS sources)?

Never found any DSP mode on my Yamaha that made something proper out of an incoming mono signal.

9. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I may be in the minority here, but I can honestly say that I can't tell the difference!

I read these threads and think I must have things set up wrong etc, but I now know it's not.

Aside from DD/DTS, the only surround format worth anything imho is Logic 7. Blatantly obvious improvement over any PL format.

10. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    PL2 and PL2x are far superior to the original PL. PL2/2x is also much better than Neo 6. You get far more surround info with PL2 and of course its got a much wider frequency response to the rears than PL. Its also nice to add PL2x to Dolby 5.1 as it creates a very convincing 7.1 experience :)