Pro Logic Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Clarkey, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right I got a Sony STR DB830 AVR. But I cant figure how ur supposed to use pro logic on it.
    Im using analogue input from a sky box. How are you suposed to set it up to do its pro logic stuff. Im thinking if its set to Auto format decode it should pick up pro logic tracks when they are input, but it doesnt. So are you supposed to set it to Normal surround mode manually (Pro logic comes to life then, but it stays in pro logic mode all the time even during mono transmissions)?
    Thanx

2. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your Sony amp is set to AFD mode it will only pick up a pro logic signal if one is sent by the broadcaster of the program. You will have to use 'Normal Surround' but as you say this will have all programs in pro-logic mode. I used this mode for all sky programs.

3. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cool, so your saying sky aint broadcast with a PL signal? If so it explains it and also shows how sky suck more then you think ;)
    So, If I take a feed from the TV's RCA outputs and set it to AFD the pro logic lights will come on during PL programs on terrestrial?

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky broadcast in stereo, ( Sky One, Movies and even footballs in surround )so as long as you have the STB connected to the amp via phonos you will be able to listen in DPL.

You think Sky sucks, IMO the rest will always be playing catch up.
    You only have to look at Sky+ not what it costs but the system itself.........!!

5. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i reckon sky a ripoff merchants yes. The old boxes that we had to pay for are crap, they blow up every time theres a power cut (doesnt happen any mroe since we had some components in the box upgraded and a surge protector on but still, nothing else blew up). The picture quality is poor to say the least, costs a bomb for the privilidge to be able to watch 100's of channels which nobody ever watches that just take up bandwidth that could be used for improving picture quality on decent stations. I could go on about how that charge god knows how much for their + services, sky+, premiership+, F1 digital+ etc...

6. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

SIGH! :rolleyes:

Taz.:cool:

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,305
    I think you need to do what I did and cancel SKY.

I do not miss it at all.

8. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well we watch sky 1 and the sky sports channels a lot also paramount is a favourite. So getting rid of sky would be unheard of ;). I suppose u could get them on ITV digital but they are going down the pan so not a wise option.