1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro Logic Distortion

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rockyglw, Sep 11, 2003.

1. rockyglw

rockyglw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can anyone tell me why I get distortion on dialogue when viewing video tapes using Pro Logic or Pro Logic 2. I have tried various vcrs and av amps with the same results. It is only present on dialogue and comes from the the front left and right speakers. Have also tried different speakers and high quality cabling. Confused???

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Could be your amp. Do you get distortion using other sources eg. DVD/Cd player? Try moving the VCR phono lead to another input on the amp. The "VCR In" could have a problem.

3. Jsinger

Jsinger
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DPLII certainly has problems with anything but the most robust of source signals - as many people who watch Sky TV will have noticed. This might be the problem with your VCR, just a simple question of the signal itself not being 'good enough' for DPLII to work it's magic :(

4. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you've tried various VCRs and amps, and other sources don't do this (thus ruling out the speakers), then the likeliest culprit would be the software. Does it happen to all video tapes, or just a few? If it's the latter, then I think they've just been recorded poorly (or degraded over time).... :(

Dunc

5. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    What tapes are they? i.e. pre recorded, Long Play etc.

As said above probably a source quality problem PLII does seem to be quite suseptible to this. I have seen issues with different channels on sky, kids programs are the worst they seem to be lower quality, I have also had problems with VCR recordings from my sister which she always seems to put on Long Play.

6. rockyglw

rockyglw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have tried variuous brands of tapes at all speeds. And also recordings in SVHS. The problem is worse in off air terrestial broadcasts such as Eastenders