1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro Logic and DVDs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by preston, Mar 21, 2003.

1. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone had any experience with viewing (or is that listening to) DVDs in Pro-Logic. I'm interested because I need to buy a new DVD player (possibly recorder) and my current TV has a built in Pro-Logic decoder. I don't intend upgrading to Dolby Digital for some time.

Ultimately the question is this...Can you set the DVD to output Nicam Stereo.

All comments, however obvious are welcome. Don't underestimate my lack of knowledge on this subject!

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    It's not NICAM (that is a broadcasting mechanism). But yes. All DVD players will 'downmix' a DD multichannel soundtrack into a stereo pair, for output via the analog outputs.

The TV can then 'decode' this stereo pair using prologic techniques. Downsides (over using a true DD system) are:

1: The 'steering' of the sounds isn't anything like as precise
    2: Some films end up having their dynamic range seriously compressed when this technique is used. The gunfight scene at the start of Mercury Rising as an extreme example

3. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Only really posting to concurr with the above - as Nigel says, it is perfectly possible to playback your DVD's in Pro Logic :) The player will downmix the DD soundtrack to 2ch when it outputs sound via either the analogue outputs, or the scart. Your PL decoder in the TV will then deal with the signal as it see's fit :)

My Dad currently has his Sony 725 connected directly to his PL capable TV, and whilst there is clearly a massive difference when compared to a DD/DTS setup, it's actually not that bad. Certainly massively better than bog standard stereo :smashin:

K.