1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro Logic 32" Panny, Fault & Warranty advice!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Godspeed, May 10, 2005.

1. Godspeed

Godspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Hi lads,

My parents 32" Widescreen pro-logic panasonic purchased from Comet has decided to start acting up - When powering on first thing in the morning the screen brightness comes up full whack then settle down to normal. Also later in the evening if the tv has been turned off and then turned on again it will do the same routine but also switch itself off as though it knows there is a problem.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of the severity of the fault as they have extra cover on the set but this money will be re-deemable in 2 years time if a claim is not made (£300)

I'm in a bit of a dilemma what will be the best course of action. If an engineer comes out and 'fixes' the problem then we waiver the policy refund anyway.

This is the second set to go wrong - first was a 29" toshiba 4:3 (with extended cover) which went pop and they had to give my parents vouchers. Seems this one is going the same way :(

Any views/ideas appreciated.

Cheers

M

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,884
    I think you have no choice but to call out an engineer as the fault can only get worse...let's face it it won't magically cure itself will it?

3. Godspeed

Godspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Thanks for the reply.

What i'm trying to guage is just a rough idea of if the brightness behaviour is pretty terminal (line output transformer?) or maybe something lesser.

If its something that my mates father can fix as he's in the business then i'd rather put it to one side, let them use my spare tv and then collect the £300 policy cash back to buy them a new set. They will also still have the original panasonic which my carry on or be easily fixable.

With the faulty 29" Toshiba it was pretty apparent it was terminal with its weird screen antics, large popping noises and only turning on when it felt like it sessions!

Would a model number help to see what the common faults are?

M