1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro Logic 2 recievers....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mr_sockochris, Dec 19, 2001.

1. mr_sockochris

mr_sockochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Right, next year i am going to get a Nintendo Gamecube which doesnt support Dolby Digital which means no 5.1. But it DOES support Pro Logic 2. Now ive been looking for PL2 recievers but cannot find any of a decent price in the UK, only in America. The one im looking at is here http://www.onkyousa.com/show_model.cfm?class=receivers&m=TX-DS494
    Its the Onkyo TX-DS494. It supports Pro Logic 2, long with DTS (for my PS2) and Dolby Digital (for my DVD) and is about $249- $299 on most US websites. I already have all the speakers for 5.1 so i just need the reciever. Does anyone know where i could get this, or a similar reciever in the UK? I dont want to spend more than £300 and it must have Pro Logic 2, Dolby Digital and DTS.
    thanks in advance

2. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You could try the Marantz 4200 or go for the 5200 for £350 and get PL 11 and 6.1 aswell, also one of the entry level Denons might suit you...

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You can't have been searching very hard in the UK. The full Denon range supports DPLII, and their range is from £349 to £2,499. Look at the 1602 (£349) or the 1802 (£449).

Happy hunting!

4. mr_sockochris

mr_sockochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks for all your help. Ive had al look for the Denon's which i found, but couldnt find anything below £500, and the Marantz's i couldnt find anything on?! Am i not looking in the right places? If anyone could prove a LINK or any help at all it would be really great :) Sorry if i seem a bit stupid, but i dont know much about it all as ive only got into it since i got a Pro Logic TV. Since then ive been wanting to expericence Digital 5.1 on DVD's and Pro ogic 2 on games. If anyone knows of where i can get a PL2+Digital5.1 reciever for under £300 in the UK could you provide some Info or a link? thanks in advance, chris.

5. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Try:-

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/

Search for Marantz SR4200, it's available for £269.99 or search for Denon ARV 1602, it's available for £261.96...

Unbeatable has a pretty good reputation on this forum, put the name into the forum search to read more about people's dealings with them.
    Both amps have good reputation's aswell on this forum, don't forget that there are other amps to choose from if your willing to pay a bit more money, but as always it comes down to your preferance.

Hope this helps you out m8.
    Iain

p.s don't forget that there are also other internet retailers to choose from, this is just one that seems to have pretty good prices and reputation.

6. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,
    I just bought a Denon 1802 for £299 which has PL2 and I'm very pleased with it AND you don't have to suffer dealing with an internet supplier - you can go round and pick it up from their shop in Ruislip. The shop is Bos Electronics (01895 636638) or www.boselectronics.com they were really nice and helpful and you should be able to be there and back from Ware in 2 hours!
    They're not always the cheapest for everything but they were the best I could find for the Denon.
    Now I need the best price for a black Sony NS900 player!....

Simon :p

7. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try krishav.co.uk £349 unmodded ns900.

8. mr_sockochris

mr_sockochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thank you everyone who has helped me. As i mentioned, my knowledge of all this is small so you all really helped. I do have a few more questions though:

Does the Denon AVR1602 support 5.1? it says 5 channel, but im not sure if it means 5.1 too?

Can i use ANY speakers with it? Ive got some good ones from my SHARP Stereo. It has 2 big main left and rights, 2 smaller surround speakers, a centre speaker and a Subwoofer. I assume these would work?