Pro-ject turntable problem

daveb975

I have got a Pro-ject Debut 3 turntable that has developed a strange problem.

The first half of each record plays fine, but the second half (last couple of tracks on a side of an album) is distorted. This is most noticable on percussion and treble parts of the track, the bassline sounds fine.

I have checked my tracking weight (the cause of another previous problem), but it seems fine.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what may be wrong?

Beobloke

dynamic turtle

Novice Member
had exactly the same problem as you recently and it was (largely) remedied by making sure the TT was absolutely level, and by removing the anti-skate assembly entirely.

DT

daveb975

I have moved my rack lately, so it could be something to do the the TT not being level. I will try that tonight as well, thanks.

Does removing the anti-skate have any negative effects?

SYNCHRO_MAN

Standard Member
daveb975 said:
I have moved my rack lately, so it could be something to do the the TT not being level. I will try that tonight as well, thanks.

Does removing the anti-skate have any negative effects?
hi

check your horizontal bias(anti-skate)make sure it is set the same as the downforce on the cartridge or thereabouts;check cartridge allignment i.e it is sitting square in the headshell and that when the cartridge is fitted ,when you swing the arm across the needle tip should be as near to the centre spindle as possible.when using the allignment protractor check the allignment on 3 points on the record start,middle,end,set cartridge accordingly.First of all though make sure the t/table is level.In my opinion it does as this affects the amount of side force that is applied to the tip of the stylus,because the centifugal force that is caused by the platter wanting to throw the cartridge away,if no damping is applied you would then have to increase the downforce on the cartridge it would therefore not track the the groove on the record properly, it will dig into your records causing exccesive wear on the cartridge & record.

daveb975

Thanks for all of the advice, but I am still having no luck with this. The alignment appears to be spot on.

I thought that I has sorted it when I got the spirit level out and it was not quite level. After a while, I managed to get it totally level, but there was no improvement in the sound problem.

I rested the spirit level on the platter, and noticed that it is not exactly in line with the base (not far out, though). I lined it all up again so that platter was exactly level, and the base was not, but still no improvement.

The TT is over a year old now, so it is out of warranty. I am not sure if it is worth getting it repaired, so it may bring forward my much though-about upgrade!

daveb975

Eventually got it working. I tried setting everything up again, and removing and replacing the platter and it worked fine!

Thanks again for the advice!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom