Pro-Ject Stereo Box S2 BT - poor Bluetooth implementation or am I an idiot?

bebnbenb

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Am waiting for UK tech support to get back to me but I am also impatient.

I had one of these delivered yesterday to replace an old Yamaha amp. I'm all about the space savings at the moment. TV was previously connected to amp via additional Bluetooth receiver. Cannot get the TV to find the amp via Bluetooth.

Amp is advertised as 3 channel, so was thinking
  • channel 1 (phono) - turntable
  • channel 2 (phono) - laptop
  • channel 3 (Bluetooth) - tv

But... the tv scans and can't find the amp. So what I actually have is....

• channel 1 (phono) - old Bluetooth receiver
  • channel 2 (phono) - guess I'll have to swap plugs between the turntable and the laptop
  • channel 3 (Bluetooth) - redundant

The product page advertises Bluetooth connectivity.

The manual only talks about pairing smartphones.

The manual has no mention of putting it in a pairing mode (as you have to do with everything else).

As soon as you go on channel 3, it goes into auto pairing mode (phone can see it immediately) and can store up to 10 devices it is paired with. I can't pair my tv to it, but my neighbour could pair to it and blast out some Spotify if he wanted?

UK tech support are investigating, but I've kept the box as with only 2 buttons, neither of which activate a pairing mode, I think it may be going back later this week.

Weird Bluetooth implementation or am I an idiot and have missed something?

am I an idiot and have missed something?
You've missed the TV brand and model to allow people to :rtfm:

BT out from a TV would be intended for headphones type use and works to the receiver you have... so...

Have you unpaired / deleted the old BT receiver from the TV?
Does the TV specs say it supports more than one device being paired on the output?

You have connected the BT antenna to the amp I assume?

The TV may have a 'setup BT'/BT pairing menu you need to invoke to get it to look for the amp's receiver (like the manual shows for a phone etc.,.)?

You've missed the TV brand and model to allow people to :rtfm:

BT out from a TV would be intended for headphones type use and works to the receiver you have... so...

Have you unpaired / deleted the old BT receiver from the TV?
Does the TV specs say it supports more than one device being paired on the output?

You have connected the BT antenna to the amp I assume?

The TV may have a 'setup BT'/BT pairing menu you need to invoke to get it to look for the amp's receiver (like the manual shows for a phone etc.,.)?
the tv model is samsung ue49mu6400uxxu

I unpaired the old device, so there was nothing Bluetooth left connected to the tv. Scanned a few times, can’t find the amp, whether the amp is already on Channel 3 when I start the search nor if I start searching and change it to 3 once searching.

You can definitely have 2 Bluetooth devices connected to the tv and then pick which one you want to use. Receiver is always connected to it, have added and removed headphones frequently. Only difference with the amp to headphones and receiver is that you don’t manually put it Bluetooth pairing mode.

Antenna defo connected to the amp. Can fine it with my phone.

Maybe I do need to find the engineers menu or something on the tv. Bit weird it’s not the same procedure as all other Bluetooth receivers though.

Even if I get the tv to find the box, I may hit a wall at the next step.

I had read the instructions for the phone but not actually connected my phone till this evening.

The manual says this...
“Bluetooth pairing with Apple devices
Tap on Settings, tap on Bluetooth, turn on Bluetooth. Your device will automatically start searching for available devices. Tap on "Stereo Box S2 BT" and confirm by pressing Input button on Stereo Box S2 BT when the blue LED of input 3 is blinking.”

...but there’s a step not covered there.

Once you select Stereo Box S2 BT on your phone, the box responds with a pairing code that displays on the phone. Only then does the light start flashing on the box, and you press the input select button and it’s paired.

Gets round the “how do I stop my neighbour connecting to the amp” question but makes me think even more I’ll struggle to get any tv to connect to it.

I’m thinking they have done something when coding the ST box that means it only works with iOS or Android. But that’s a guess for now. Landfill if I’m right though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom