Pro-Ject RPM1 vs. cheap turntable on eBay

jonnybowley

Standard Member
I was wondering if any vinyl loving folks out there could advise me about my first turntable. What Hi Fi seem to rate the Pro-Ject RPM1 as a great entry level player for thos who want quality.

Posted earlier in the year, but my budget collapsed and now I'm back with cash!

So in your opinion is that the best out there for a guy with a limited budget? Or would a second hand eBay deal serve me better? If so, what deck should I be looking for?

I have an all Marantz system so far - PM4001, DV7600... So what do you all make of Marantz turntables? Is the TT4000 any good? Or the TT6025? Seen both on eBay lately and am wondering if I oughta....

Any advice?

dansolo

Standard Member
Not sure i can really answer your specific question but i have the following:

Marantz pm6002
Project Xpression Mk3

and it sounds fantastic.

alexs2

Distinguished Member
I was wondering if any vinyl loving folks out there could advise me about my first turntable. What Hi Fi seem to rate the Pro-Ject RPM1 as a great entry level player for thos who want quality.

Posted earlier in the year, but my budget collapsed and now I'm back with cash!

So in your opinion is that the best out there for a guy with a limited budget? Or would a second hand eBay deal serve me better? If so, what deck should I be looking for?

I have an all Marantz system so far - PM4001, DV7600... So what do you all make of Marantz turntables? Is the TT4000 any good? Or the TT6025? Seen both on eBay lately and am wondering if I oughta....

Any advice?

It would depend on your budget to be honest.....auction sites and similar are full of used turntables,some of which are very good buys,and have been well looked after,but you do have to know what you are looking for,and what the faults etc to expect on various models are.

The Project is an excellent budget TT,and you should also look at the Rega P1.....for this sort of money you may find a Thorens TD160 which was an excellent TT from the 70s,and still performs well now,with spares easy to find.

This,and good examples of the Regas and Projects would be good used buys.

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom