Question Pro-Ject Essential III problem

windowkbm

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I have just bought a Pro-Ject Essential III turntable and when I play any vinyl I get a "grinding" noise through the speakers in quiet sections during playback. Also there is a tocking noise on occasions and the tonearm jumps. I have played the same albums on my old Technics turntable with no problems so it is definately the Pro-Ject.

So the question is - is this a set up problem or a poor bit of kit that needs returning (I am certainly thinking the latter) ??

Any help / advice will be appreciated.

Have you set the Tonearm Tracking Weight on the Turntable?

Have you inspected the Cartridge Stylus (needle) to make sure it is not broken, chipped, or bent?

Is the Turntable LEVEL?

Where is the Turntable relative to the Speakers?

Steve/bluewizard

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply - in answer to the questions below:

Have you set the Tonearm Tracking Weight on the Turntable? Various tracking weights tried - no difference in performance

Have you inspected the Cartridge Stylus (needle) to make sure it is not broken, chipped, or bent? Looks okay

Is the Turntable LEVEL? Yes

Where is the Turntable relative to the Speakers? Close - but no closer than the previous Technics deck

Steve/bluewizard

Hi Steve

Thanks for the reply - in answer to the questions below:

1.) Various Tracking Weights - There is one ideal tracking weight for your specific cartridge, that's the weight you should use. This is typically around 1.5grams.

2.) Looks OK - the Stylus is tiny, and the Cantilever arms is small. It takes more than a quick glance to determine if the Stylus or Cantilever have been damaged.

3.) Turntable Close
- HOW CLOSE? If the turntable is close to the speaker, it can set up a feedback loop, though unlike a microphone, it is typically low frequency feedback called Rumble.

I have also seen a Turntable hit a resonance frequency that cause the turntable to shake and dislodge the stylus from the groove.

In all honesty, though I only have your description to go by, it sounds to me like the Stylus is either severely damaged or completely gone.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom