Pro-ject Elemental Upgrades

Timpotter81

Standard Member
Hi all, I purchased my first turntable last year a Pro-ject Elemental turntable. It's the perfect shape for where it is being stored on my entertainment unit. I'm now at the point of wanting to upgrade some of the elements. I'm wondering if it is possible to upgrade the cartridge and or headshell on this particular model. Has anyone done either or both? What do I need consider when doing this. I was looking at the Pro-ject pick 25a, the unit is fitted with OM 5e currently. From what the Internet has told me I need to get a tracking force scale and an alignment tool. With regards to the headshell I'm not sure it is removable and wondering if anyone has successfully done this already?

Any comments would be welcomed.

acgingersnaps

Hi.
Upgrading the stylus or whole cart is the easiest way to upgrade any turntable.
You don't need to change the headshell. You just unscrew the cart and replace it with your chosen replacement (daunting and fiddly the first time you do it, but perfectly straight forward once you get the knack). However, the easiest way of doing this for your turntable, would be to just upgrade the stylus, to one higher up the OM range.

On a seperate note, a scale and alignment protractor are incredibly handy/vital things for anyone with a turntable.

Oasticles

Hi - I have a Pro-Ject Jukebox which came with the OM5e cartridge too. I simply updated the stylus with an OM20. It’s a really simple switch out and as you aren’t changing the whole cartridge the alignment shouldn’t alter. The only change was a slight reduction in the tracking force. I bought a simple electronic measure from Amazon (£10) and tweaked the tone-arm counterweight a touch to get it in the right range. Job done.

In my view well worth the upgrade even on an inexpensive turntable.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member

Timpotter81

Standard Member
Thanks all I've taken the plunge and ordered the pick 25a cartridge got it for a bargain price so spent the remaining on a tracking scale and protractor. Will attempt the change this weekend. Now a follow on question I currently use the built in phono stage of my marantz nr1609 receiver, would I see benefits in purchasing a separate phono stage especially if my budget is sub £75? Again comments and feedback are most welcome along with any recommendations.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
If you go second hand with something like a Project Phono Box SE or Reg Fono A2D then if you don’t like it you can get most of your cash back by reselling.

Timpotter81

Standard Member
Thanks sound advice, I'll take a look, it looks like there is a used A2D on amazon for £82, might speak with the boss of the household and see if I can take a punt. Amazon let's you return if its not up to scratch.

Timpotter81

Standard Member
So took the punt and attached new cartridge, then vinyl wrapped tone arm to match cartridge. Also vinyl wrapped the plinth in a dark wood effect and then added tacky led lights. That was not an easy job as made the fatal mistake of snapping one of the tone arm cables, so had to resolder it, god that was fiddly. But it sounds great and I don't think it looks too bad.

Attachments

• 20210327_164740.jpg
    20210327_164740.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210327_213125.jpg
    20210327_213125.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 29

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom