Pro-Ject Debut Upgrade Program Review & Comments

Ed Selley

Hi-Fi Editor
Reaction score
Interesting review. I run an X1. Do you know if the subplatter would be a worthwhile upgrade for that?
Thanks

The X1/X2 subplatter aids with compliance more than anything. We found a marginal improvement in RPM output with this on our demo X2. Aesthetically though with the Acrylic it's beautiful to look at and incredibly well engineered.

It does add significant weight to the overall unit - which in itself provides an advantage as far as resonance is concerned.

@Ed Selley - a really well written review. Thank you for taking the time to publish it.
Just a few little updates:

The Debut Carbon Evo has increased in price as of the 1st September. It's now £499, so still sub £500.

The Clamp-IT cam-lock screw can be tight on occasions. We recommend just running a biro / screwdriver into the cam-lock itself and to work it slightly to enable the clamp to slide onto the spindle. I know of one person who wrecked the bearing trying to force it on.

Thanks for this. I did the 2M Blue upgrade on my regular old Debut Carbon earlier this year and it really made a difference - also have had the acrylic platter for a few years now.

Will look into the sub platter and clamp - that should be enough for me

does add significant weight to the overall unit - which in itself provides an advantage as far as resonance is concerned.
Cheers. Sounds like I can live without and I've already swapped out the stock cart for a Goldring. Not keen on the 2M sound. Bit CD like for me (I've heard the red, silver, blue and pick it).

I wish there was an upgrade for the hinges on the Evo.

Mine started coming away from the chassis within a few weeks of purchase, so I had to grease them with some clipper oil as there was seemingly too much resistance.

Adding grease stopped that problem, but I still have to tighten the screws every few weeks, as they seem to love loosening themselves with use.

Thanks for the review, it made for interesting reading.

I recently got back into vinyl and picked up a used Pro-ject Debut Carbon (the Evo’s predecessor); the previous owner had already purchased the acrylic platter and uograded the cartridge. In hindsight, I got a bit of a bargain and have enjoyed it a lot. I recently changed the standard power adapter for the Power-IT one and am happy with the change. I may well buy the sub-platter in the future (am surprised it is not standard on the forthcoming Debut PRO turntable tbh).

I do keep looking at the Evo and wonder whether I should make the switch however am not convinced right now. I’ll keep an eye out for the Debut PRO review before making my next move.

Thanks for the review, it made for interesting reading.

I recently got back into vinyl and picked up a used Pro-ject Debut Carbon (the Evo’s predecessor); the previous owner had already purchased the acrylic platter and uograded the cartridge. In hindsight, I got a bit of a bargain and have enjoyed it a lot. I recently changed the standard power adapter for the Power-IT one and am happy with the change. I may well buy the sub-platter in the future (am surprised it is not standard on the forthcoming Debut PRO turntable tbh).

I do keep looking at the Evo and wonder whether I should make the switch however am not convinced right now. I’ll keep an eye out for the Debut PRO review before making my next move.
I recommend the X1. I had the old carbon and found the X1 to be an upgrade in every area. Very much worth the extra pennies.

What’s the difference between a “clamp” and a weight like this one? This is a Pro-ject product as well

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 185
The weight is designed for tables with larger bearings (namely X series and Signature).
The clamp is designed for smaller bearings (such as T1/Debut/RPM). It adds no downward pressure to the spindle itself - it has a cam lock that tightens around the spindle and then locks in place.

I recommend the X1. I had the old carbon and found the X1 to be an upgrade in every area. Very much worth the extra pennies.
Yeah, the X1 has caught my attention on more than one occasion. what cartridge are you using out of interest?

Yeah, the X1 has caught my attention on more than one occasion. what cartridge are you using out of interest?
Goldring 2200. The last cart I had on my Carbon was a Nagoaka MP110. Worked well.
The Goldring 2xxx is the perfect height and weight for the Debut Carbon and X series tables.

Note to add: the X series tables have adjustable VTA so can accept a much wider range of cartridges.
There is the VTA-IT shim now for the Debut series to give you +1.5mm adjustment.

It ships with a Pick-IT S2 but Goldring and Ortofon Quintet really complement the X1. I have stated on other forums that the Quintet Bronze is a perfect cartridge for it.

That's a very interesting article, thanks for taking the time and effort in writing it. I have a mid '90's era Technics SL1200Mk2 which I've modified extensively. it has the following.

Rega RB300 Arm
Grado Prestige Gold Cartridge
Then some Timestep Mods
Uprated Spindle/bearing Assembly
Isonue Isolation Feet
Record Clamp.
Mat1 Record Mat
Outboard Power Supply.
Cambridge Audio CP2 Phono Stage.

The effect is startling it has phenomenal timing and pitch stability, which is very important to me as for reason I hear pitch changes easily, it's easy to use and is reliable as gravity.

Note to add: the X series tables have adjustable VTA so can accept a much wider range of cartridges.
There is the VTA-IT shim now for the Debut series to give you +1.5mm adjustment.

It ships with a Pick-IT S2 but Goldring and Ortofon Quintet really complement the X1. I have stated on other forums that the Quintet Bronze is a perfect cartridge for it.
Interesting. Quite fancy an MC. Never had one.

Sweep IT Cleaning Brush £60.

Bit expensive and have been around for years,

Boots (The Chemist) used to sell one for about £10 or less seen to remember.

Personally I use a Zerostat and Pro-Ject brush.

Hi,
I have the ProJect 1 Xpression Carbon (not the Classic or UK version) fitted from the purchase with 2M Blue and it is indeed a fine turntable. The 8,6" Carbon Evo arm is different to Debut Carbon Evo, except the counterweight is identical as those on X1 and X2. I replaced the feets with new ones, as on Debut Carbon Evo, becouse I hated the original sharp spiked feet's, but no sonic change as expected because of harder damping on the new ones. Replaced the mains adaptor with High Power It, the old one died after 7 years and surprise, the turntable sounds quieter !? (My amp has a 3 wire mains cable)
I'm tempted to replace the plastic subplatter but doubt that the replacement will be a perceivable improvement and can't figure out if this ‘whoa’ moment described by Ed, it is kind of placebo effect? Some user experience on this? as 130€ is quite a risky investment.
No intention to replace the metal mainplatter as I like it becouse is heavy and wel damped.
The picture shows the 1Xpression Carbon stock version fitted with 2M Red.

Attachments

• CFC68791-9D9E-4293-A70C-15FA81172CEC.jpeg
    CFC68791-9D9E-4293-A70C-15FA81172CEC.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Interesting. Quite fancy an MC. Never had one.
You can go a very long way with MM/MI. Plus, there's no need for the new/improved phono stage and SUT you may need, thereby saving on outlay. Although I have a MC which works with my existing kit, I recently took the decision to to stick with MM/MI.

Here's my dilemma...That anniversary Debut Pro looks gorgeous. I really like what it does out of the box and if I didn't have time to think about it before it was available I'd have impulse bought the sexy beast already.

However, I love to mess with kit and £449 for a table everybody raves about has it's own attractions. I really like the idea of taking a sub five hundred quid player and pimping it up to the eyeballs bit by bit. And I can get it in lovely matt blue or green. That'd look great with my wife's funky taste in decorating.

But wait....what's this? A brand new X1 for £600 in the clearance bin is what it is! Yikes...what am I to do? I'm stuck like a rabbit in headlights wondering which way to jump. I might just have to Eeny, Meeny, Miny, Mo it.

Edit: I'm leaning towards the X1. If anyone thinks that's daft let me know why (unless it's a "you could get a second hand blah, blah, blah...").

Last edited:
I've pulled the trigger on a white X1.
Better speed tolerance, better wow and flutter parameters, acrylic platter, thicker plinth and a hundred squids cheaper than the Debut-Pro (clearance at Sevenoaks).
Chuffed!
Edit:
x1.jpg
:)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom