Question Pro-Ject Debut iii Motor Stutters

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by durranto, Dec 10, 2018.

1. durranto

durranto
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently (rather drunkenly) bought a Pro-Ject Debut iii Turntable from ebay which was sold as spares or repairs (which I did not notice until I won the bid!)

When the turntable is switched on, the motor turns slowly, then stops and starts up again. I have been searching online for any tips, but cannot find any. I have seen some suggestions to oil the motor, but if that is not the issue, does anyone have any other suggestions apart from replacing the motor?

Many thanks

Jason

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,131
    Have you disconnected the Belt/Platter from the motor to see if it does that on its own?

While you are at it, and have the belt off, see if the Platter spins smoothly. Disconnected from the motor the Platter should display a Flywheel action, and it should continue to spin once you start it by hand. Could just need a bit on oil on the platter spindle to get it going again. That happened to one of my turntables, the oil/grease on the spindle/platter bearing had dried out and turned to thick paste. So alcohol to clean it out, then some fine oil to get it going again.

It is possible that the same thing has happened to the motor, the oil might have dried out. Add a few drops of alcohol to the motor shaft to clean it up, then add some fine oil. (Fine Oil = 3-in-1 or Sewing Machine Oil)

With the machine OFF, if either the motor shaft or the Platter/Spindle feel stiff and dragging, definitely clean with Isopropyl Alcohol, then oil as directed.

However, if the Motor and the Platter currently spin freely, then likely it is the Motor Speed Control Mechanism that is shot. That could perhaps be replaced. Probably a small circuit board hiding some where in the system.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard