Answered Pro-Ject Align It, cartridge alignment tool

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by MikeFaulkner, Jul 21, 2018.

1. MikeFaulkner

MikeFaulkner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I'm wondering if anyone on this board has had experience of this tool, and has managed to make sense of the instructions.

If so I'd be interested in entering into a dialogue.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #4 by Rachel H, Jul 22, 2018 (1 points)
  3. Rachel H

Rachel H
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I can talk you through it if you like but its really just an expensive and confusing looking cartridge set up tool.
    I hate to say it, you can download something you can print off from the Internet that can almost do as much...and for free.

4. MikeFaulkner

MikeFaulkner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Thanks Rachel, I didn't pay a lot for it, less than £20, but here is the issue:

I have a Pro-Ject Expression III with it's standard 8,9" arm and Ortofon Vivo Blue cartridge, from the instructions, it says for this arm I would use setting 1. Then it says, and this is the bit which is causing the issue, Adjust the screw (5) until it's edge aligns with the uppermost edge of the scale.

From the attached image you can see position 1 shares a scale with position 3, so I adjust until it aligns with the upper line. So now with everything set up as per the instructions i try to align my stylus with the point on the protractor. It falls short by 2-3mm. I cannot move my cartridge any further, the guide holes in the head shell won't let me.

If however, I align the edge to the lower line on the scale, and set up as per instructions i can adjust my cartridge so that i can drop my stylus exactly on point 1.

It is entirely possible that the word, Uppermost, is causing the issue. If viewed from the adjusters position, uppermost would be the top line, if from the scale view, it would be the bottom.

Hope this is clear.

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. Rachel H

Rachel H
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Best Answer
    Hiya Mike

You just solved your own problem. What you have to accept is that the pro-ject scale ironically isn't accurate.

What many people have to do is sit it on a record, or a thicker mat and in some extreme cases on the juke box adapter. The uppermost line is what everyone struggles with. I hope with this in mind using it is now clear, but if I missed something, let me know.

x Rach :)

6. MikeFaulkner

MikeFaulkner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I sort of figured that. I went ahead and calibrated on the lower line and then used a standard Cartridge alignment protractor and it seems to be bang on. I thought there may have been something missed in translation in the instructions, which are pretty awful.

Thanks for the time Rachel, I do appreciate it.

PS. Just tried it with a thick mat, and was able to use the upper line!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  7. Rachel H

Rachel H
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hey, that's excellent! :clap:

Really glad you're sorted now.

8. jonno73

jonno73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    This is why I got the shop to do mine!

My maiden effort resulted in my applying a downward tracking force akin to that of the gravitational pull of Jupiter...

9. MikeFaulkner

MikeFaulkner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    The only reason I bought it is because my short distance eyesight isn't what it was, and then I got hit with instructions which don't make sense and a scale which isn't accurate!

All sorted now though, just worried about my next cartridge set-up, there isn't a shop in Liverpool who i would trust to do a proper job.