Pro-ject 3 turntable question

boss17

Hi all.
I need help! I bought a used Debut 3 turntable and it had already been upgraded with the new pulley, belt and rubber mounts. The belt snapped recently after a few months so I bought another upgrade kit from Ebay as I wasn't sure which belt to buy (the original belt is flat and the upgrade belt is round).
I duly fitted it and after just a few days, the new belt snapped! It looks like a Henley Audio part number on the bag although it wasn't purchased from them.
My dilemma is...... do I buy another round belt OR change back to the original pulley and belt??
The Henley upgrade is not a genuine Pro-ject belt so I am wondering if it is safer to go back to basics bearing in mind 2 round belts have snapped on me. Your help will be gratefully received........... Steve

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Worth checking both pulleys for sharp edges, quite unusual for belts to break unless very old and perished, they are under very little load. Also does the main platter spin freely, a small shove by hand (no belt) should have it spining for a couple of minutes.

coruja

I agree with @Ugg10 the belts should snap so quickly, either something on the underside of the TT is touching it and wearing it down, or the platter is gummed up and not spinning freely and adding stress to the belt.

Belts eventually sag, after a few years, they don't snap very often.

boss17

The 'new' belt which broke had a clean break as if it was a join in manufacture... Checked platter and pulleys and all clean and damage free?

Last edited:

coruja

The 'new' belt which broke had a clean break as if it was a join in manufacture... Checked platter and pulleys and all clean and damage free?
It could very well be that you have used a belt that didn't correctly fit the TT (too small ?) or a cheaply made one.

Best to buy an original belt specifically made for your TT.

I am not sure if using a round belt is much more of an upgrade than the flat belt it originally came with. Go back to basics, as you said!

Last edited:

boss17

It could very well be that you have used a belt that didn't correctly fit the TT (too small ?) or a cheaply made one.

Best to buy an original belt specifically made for your TT.

I am not sure if using a round belt is much more of an upgrade than the flat belt it originally came with. Go back to basics, as you said!
The round section belt and matching pulley is actually an official upgrade from Henley to stop motor hum/vibration issues.

I've ordered a genuine Pro-ject belt and pulley.

Thanks for all the advice peeps.

madfiddler

I applied the pro-ject S/E upgrade kit you mention some time ago and I was going to say it’s not a round belt, but checked and it is! I also have a speed box so have no reason now to lift off the platter and had forotten. 🙄

I think it must be a manufacturing issue on the belt, because there really aren’t any sharp edges, even if you put it around the wrong part of the pulley. Unless it S somehow been over stretched before putting it on.

….assuming of course it the original default plastic sub platter too? I had been toying with the idea of getting the new aluminium sub platter for mine but it’s £110.

boss17

It is annoying to have 2 belts go such a short time and I must admit I was thinking of changing to a direct drive tt 🤔

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom