1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro Evolution Soccer scrolling jerks!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Willy, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I posted this in Biboo's Toshiba telly summary thread, but I hope you don't mind me posting it here too, since I'm not sure whether it's the TV or the game that is the problem. I'm hoping some other gamers have seen this too & can reassure me or help me out.

Basically, when I'm playing PES2, every time I play a long pass the screen struggles to keep up, and the whole screen just jerks along as if it is having problems with the framrate.

This problem goes away when I put my TV in progressive mode (problem occurs in 50hz & 100hz modes), but I was wondering if anybody else has seen this problem and has an explanation for it?

The game works fine on other TV's.

Cheers.

2. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Hi i had a philips 32pw9576 & it had the same problem as you say.now i play it on a sony it works fine so it sounds like the tv.you say your tv is a tosh is it the **zd26 i had this tv & all my game looked out of this world on it,it was the sky & dvd i had the problems with.

3. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the response. I'm at least glad to see that I'm not going mad!

Yes it is the 32ZD26P. I know a few problems have been reported with this set, but mine doesn't seem to have any of them, save a really slight geometry bit in the top right (which doesn't bother me at all).

Can I ask if you if you only had this problem with Pro Evolution Soccer 2, or whether it was with jerky scrolling in general? Did this cause you to get rid of that set? I'm kind of thinking if it's only one game, and it is hardly noticable in progress mode, I might be tempted to live with it. But then I've spent a lot of money, so I don't see why I should compromise.

Any further info & advice you can give would be very gratefully received. :) Cheers.

4. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    yer it was this game & anything that paned the screen fast.i got rid of mine as on the tosh, i had a white blur down both side of the screen i had 3 of them all the same.the philips was the worst tv i have ever seen in my life even though it cost £1800 so that went back aswel.

5. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I certainly don't want to see this sort of thing every time I play a game that scrolls quickly. I guess it will have to go back. :(

Sorry, 1 more question: Did you encounter any similar problems with DVD's or was it just games?

Cheers.

6. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Sorry mate i only saw this sort of crap,on my philips as i said all my game looked great on the tosh.but i never played any football games on it.but the money you have paid for the set you shouldn,t have to put up with it IMO.do you watch football on tv?whats that like?can you see the problem on that?

7. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ony got it Monday and haven't had much time to play with it. I guess I need to give it a serious going over before I make a decision.

Thanks for all your help.

8. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thats ok mate,but don't forgett to set it from picture mode3 it makes a big improvement.hope it works out for you because without the faults mine had, it has one hell of a picture.

9. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that the one that controls the colour? OK, will make sure I'm on that. I need to spend an evening really putting it to the test.

The thing is, I so much want to be happy with it, I'm concerned that I might just accept the faults and then spend the next 3 years regretting not having done anything about it. It's a tough call to make.:confused:

10. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    It is a tough call,i had all my family say it's fine thats why i tried 3 of them. but in the end i knew i just couldn't live with the faults,so i sent it back.anyway let me know how you get on.
    all the best mate :)

11. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will do. Thanks very much.

12. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I appreciate this is the wrong forum for this question but, Liverpool, could you tell me what problems you had with the **ZD26 and Sky and DVD ?

Thanks...Barry

13. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Right it was a white bloming,down the L & R sides of the screen.so when ever any logos of sky were on screen i had a big white mark all a round them.then on dvd like gladiator when they are in the tent people had this white mark a round them.on monsters inc at the start were all the doors go around the screen, all the doors that went to the edge of the screen they had this white mark.all 3 tv were like this so i could not live with it.but other people say it's not on their tv so i might have just been unlucky.

14. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it does! Thanks mate.

I've been putting the set through it's paces and PES2 is the only game I'm experiencing a problem with - and on Mode3 with progressive mode it's barely noticable (in fact my mates are coming round tomorrow to check whether it's just me being paranoid).

Even Timesplitters 2 doesn't seem to bother it, and that's lightning fast, so (fingers crossed) it looks like I may be keeping her after all. I don't think I've ever seen anything as visually impressive as Sega GT running on this baby! Thanks again for your help.

15. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Willy --

Finally got round to trying this tonight on my 32ZD26P. No problems at all. This was running in Picture Mode 'M' (Picture Mode 3 slightly altered, running in 'Progress' mode with no effects) and connected through the connection on the left hand side of the TV (what ever that's called - EXT 3 is it ?). This is PES2 as released just over a year ago -- not the newer version.

Liverpool --

Thanks for your reply.

It sounds fairly catastrophic. I only asked as my Sky picture is, on the whole, fairly good but I have noticed a minor speckled effect on plain backgrounds (e.g. skies, light coloured walls). I'm putting this down to (a) never scrutinising my previous TV that closely and (b) the quality of the Sky picture not being all that it should be ('Monsters Inc' DVD picture is almost perfect)

Having said that, it's a minor problem - I think I'd noticed if I have what you had.

-- Barry.

16. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barry, could you please do me a huge favour and go back and try this again, but in Active and Normal view modes aswell? I assume you know how to access them (from the Menu button on the remote).

I'm playing PES2 and you're playing PES1, but there's very little difference between the two, so it should be the same.

Thanks.

PS. I'll have a look at the connection you're using.

17. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I gave the TV a good going over tonight and finally solved the problem.

Turns out my TV has 3 scart sockets, and 2 of them produce a crap image with loads of fuzziness and jerky scrolling during Pro Evolution Soccer.

Fortunately the other scart works fine and produces a lovely, crisp image with no jerkiness.

I find all this pretty strange, but I guess I can live only one decent scart socket. I have a scart switcher so will make do with that. Luckily my Xbox connects via component.

Thank God it wasn't the tv screen. :)

18. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, Willy, but you're probably not interested to know that PES is fine in all picture modes ;)

Good news then...
    -- Barry.

19. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks anyway, I appreciate the effort. :)