1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro evolution 4 (X box) £15.99 at Blah

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by F G Evans, Nov 12, 2004.

1. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pro evolution is only £15.99 with the £2.00 discount voucher which is available to all new accounts opened at Blah

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    Unfortunately, the £17.99 is the price for the PC CD version. There is no Xbox version listed :(

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I only ordered yesterday and was unaware of any £2 discount!? :confused:

Could you post a link to the offer. :)

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I thought that was the mistake. £30 is the pc rrp after all. Still, I ordered the game when it was advertised as £17.99 for the XBox game. Although it doesn't state that it's the XBox version on the confirmation email, I was sensible enough to print out the page with the offer on it. So thety can't claim they didn't have the offer. It'll be interesting to see whther they honour this mistake.

5. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    hmmm Rob is there any chance you can email me that screenshot ? I see they have removed all info about the Xbox version from the website

6. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I only printed out the page. I might be able to fax it!? Still, lets wait and see whether they will honour the mistake. I have emailed their help desk, but have yet to receive a reply.

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    I hope they don't send me the PC version as I ordered the game on X-Box, even though they've now withdrawn it from the website. It's true that my receipt doesn't show a version though.

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    as mentioned in the other thread - the X-Box @ £17.99 was an error as i've had a reply back from them - see below:

Hi there

We are really very sorry but due to an error when the info was entered on to our site, this title is not available from us at this time.

We apologise for this and have cancelled the order.

Kindest regards

Lise

Customer Services

9. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    If you want to annoy them do the following: -

Tell them that you entered into a contract and as such they are obliged to send you the goods at the price advertised as they took payment details and the transactions was as far as you were concerned final.

Tell them you will inform trading standards as it is misrepresentation and a misleading price indicator. Remind them that they can be fined heavily (up to £2000 per price) for incorrectly pricing good and that the withdrawal of the item for sale does not terminate the contract.

See what they have to say to that.

Dont take any crap from them and if they take the **** goto trading standards.

Also when you write your next email to them follow your name with the initals LLB (Hons).

Its a law degree, inform them you are a solicitor, they will never know and I guartantee you get your game at the price stated!

10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    According to Trading Standards:-

You cannot insist that a shop sells you anything at a marked price, whether or not they have made a mistake.

11. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Arguable statement that, as is most law, particularly as you are protected under consumer protection laws.

I believe that you are entitled to the product at the price the company has advertised it for.

In contract the price would be an invitation to treat, you would make them the offer to purchase the product at the price they advertised it for and they would technically be accepting the offer by taking your credit card details.

The trading standards website says...

"I want to purchase a three piece suite that is on display in a shop. The shop refused to sell it to me. Does a shop have the right to refuse to sell goods?"
    Yes! Goods on display in a shop are there for you to make an offer to buy, the shop is not obliged to accept your offer. The same applies where goods have been labelled with the wrong price; the shop does not have to sell at that price.

However the point of offer acceptance is the arguable part. Purchasing online how do you know when an offer has been accepted? Did you recieve confirmation of your order?

If so, they have technically accepted the offer you have made them. As they have sent confirmation. If that confirmation is automated that is their tough cheese!

Sorry to bore people if you are not interested.

12. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    I have kind of reliable advice on this - my Mrs is a Trading Standards Officer. Unfortunately, as they are selling from Jersey, you can't touch them (its outside UK and not subject to our laws). Sorry for the bad news guys :(

13. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Oh dear Jersey didnt realise that!

Ha ha in that case no bargains for you lot. Glad I didnt cancel my Amazon preorder after all!

14. welshpaul

welshpaul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    EU law is harmonised so the same rules apply.

The advertised price is only an invitation to treat. You offer to purchase at that price and the trader has to accept that offer for a contract. The confirmation, in my opinion, is an acceptance. The consideration (payment) can be made at a later date. (On delivery)

To advertise a price and then charge another is a possible offence under section 20 of the Consumer Protection Act.

However the mail from Blah doesn't ask for more money only that they will not supply therefore i beleive there is no offence however it may still be a breach of contract and therefore entitled to compensation i.e. the difference in price of you purchasing elsewhere.

The issue as to the confirmation mail being acceptance may be a grey area and i'm not aware of it being tested in the courts.

Hope this helps.

15. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Sorry mate,

Jersey and Guernsey are not part of the EU!

16. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,376
    The Channel Islands are not part of the EU, but wouldn't matter even if they were. They aren't part of the UK.

The EU makes directives (legislation) which each country then chooses to make their own legislation. But the Channel Islands aren't governed by UK legislation, and UK trading standards can only enforce UK legislation. You only have legal rights when you buy something from the UK. If you want to speak to a solicitor in Jersey then good luck!

17. welshpaul

welshpaul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Being a bit of a Brit mind i wasn't aware of of who was in the EU!!!

I've just had a quick read up on the Jersey TSD website and they're rules on contract are the same as ours so therefore a breach of contract still applies in my opinion.

Obviously enforcing your rights could be a pain in the ass!!!

I suggest e mailing Jersey TSD to report the matter and see what develops.

18. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    where can i get a patch for the game to get proper names /kits cheers

19. cmf21

cmf21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Has anyone looked in their IE history to see if they can find the page that states it's the Xbox version @ £17.99 as they've now got another Xbox version advertised for a higher price so there statement of no longer offering the item doesn't really stand up.

I unfortunately dumped my history yesterday before I knew of the problem but thought if some kind soul did still have it they could post it as I'm sure it would be of use to all those who've ordered.

Cheers

20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    yeah I tried that and all I could find was the new page - it must have overwritten the old one as I hadn't cleaned out my History.

21. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    These are the 2 emails i have received back from blahdvd. The second one confused me somewhat as i don't believe that there was any problem with processing the order, so i'm thinking noone actually read my email and that its just an automated response.

1st:
    Hi there

We are really very sorry but due to an error when the info was entered on to our site, this title is not available from us at this time.

We apologise for this and have cancelled the order.

Kindest regards

Lise

Customer Services

2nd:
    I am the technical director of Blahdvd and I have noticed that your recent orders have not completed successfully. However, we have experienced a problem with our payment system which has now been fixed.

I hope that this has not inconvenienced you too much and that you will continue to shop on our site.

Looking forward to your response and I will do whatever I can to help.

Best Regards

Richard Kay

Technical Director

PS. Please respond to Richard.Kay@blahdvd.com

Anyone got any suggestions on what my reply to this Richard Kay should include, i was thinking along the lines of :censored: :censored: you :censored: :censored: don't advertise prices your not prepared to honour you :censored: :censored: etc etc

Anything else you feel it should include, maybe a link to this forum perhaps :devil:

22. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,604
    I got the same two emails. I agree he should be strung up, metaphorically speaking of course, for this cock-up! Grrr!

23. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Pick the bits out of the threads. Mainly the parts on contract about offer/acceptance and that the confirmation they have sent to you constitutes the acceptance of the offer you have made to them.

Tell them that if they do not supply the goods at the price which you have agreed to purchase then you will be forced to inform Jerseys trading standards and ultimately you will be prepared to take legal action.

Tell them it is their mistake not yours and that as well as being legally obliged to provide you with the goods purchased they should also as a gesture of goodwill provide you with the game.

Add LLB (Hons) at the bottom after your name. Everyone knows that it is a law degree.

Make it polite but firm.

End the email in a friendly manner stating you hope there will be an amicable resolution to this matter in due course. Or something like that

24. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    Yeah I got the same two emails. I have since responded with the below :

Hi,

Unfortunately, I have received an email informing me of an error on your site in that you will now not offer me an item at the price that I previously bought it for on your site. As I had cancelled a previous pre-order on another site to buy from you I now feel rather let down by this.

As such if the item is not dispatched at the advertised price then I can not see myself trusting your site for any future purchase. My original receipt & further emails are copied below:

Best Regards

Not had a reply back yet but we'll see what happens.

25. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I will make the point again that in UK law there is no contract unless they have taken payment. If they havent taken payment they have no legal requirment to supply the goods.

Emails, orders on site etc are simply an invitation to treat.

I dont think I have had an email, I hope they dont send me the PC version :mad:

26. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    No, the invitation to treat is them advertising on the site.

The offer is you clicking on the buy it now and paying through the checking out system.

The acceptance of the offer is your confirmation, it confirms that they accept the offer you have made them.

Consideration, money, is the part of the contract that you provide in exchange for the goods.

Admittedly the transaction has not taken place until the money has been taken but the contract has been made and is binding!

27. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    sorry it all went bad guys.

typical..........I never spot a bargain

28. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I still haven't received a reply to my email I sent last week. So I've sent them another one this morning outlining how I believe that as they accepted my offer to purchase the XBox vesion of PES4 at £17.99 when they took my CC details and sent the confirmation email. The contract is valid even though no monies were exchanged because the site states that money will be taken at a later date when the goods are shipped. I bought a GC bag for £0 when Play.com made a mistake. They were good enough to honour their mistake. Perhaps Blah will if they consider the adverse effect of negative internet postings. It's certainly not the way to behave when trying to establish good customer relations.

29. Scott23

Scott23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    This story reminds me of a recently bankrupted company called SplashDVD that existed on the same island. I came across them with a similar hard to believe offer on a gamecube game and promptly placed an order with them. They had exactly the same £2 introductory offer and same type of website. They took instant payment from my card without actually sending the games (good online retailers never take payment until they have sent the goods), and I then got an email saying sorry but we can't get the game, a refund will be sent, etc,. They then refused to acknowledge emails, letters, etc and would not reply to any emails sent to them. The help line telephone number was never available, etc,. The refund never arrived for almost two months. Things only got moving after I threatened them with legal action through my solicitor.

To finish the story off, the company went bankrupt not long after I got my money back (I was one of the few lucky ones) with debts of over £1 million. They had a portion of money locked up from orders taken but not sent, but most of the money had disappeared into the great yonder. The company was so bad, it even had a section on their website where they slagged customers off who had complained on the online shop review sites. Check out the reviews of SplashDVD on these site to see what I mean. It may ring some bells in your heads.

The lesson I learned from it all was to shop only with reputable sites that I have dealt with in the past (play.com, amazon.co.uk, cdwow.com, gameplay.com). Sometimes bargains seem, and unfortunately actually are, too good to be true.

30. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    They seem/ed fairly reputable in so much as they appear in the Kelkoo list of traders, but I know what you mean. Sometimes the hassle is not worth the few quid saving. I genuinely thought this could be a good deal as a loss-leader or something. For a new company, the word would spread about a high-profile game like it did, which could be worth it for them to get a "foot in the door".

but no........just a mistake !