Pro evo 5 not impressed

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by simon69, Mar 24, 2006.

1. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I borrowed a copy of PES5 just to see what it was like before I bought it. Im glad I did because I thought it was crap, if this is the best football game to have the others must be absolute dog droppings.

The commentary is just wrong i.e.

My player bend down to head the ball

commentary

"he is the only player that got up to that one"

I hit the post

commentary

"that free kick was wasted"

No matter where you kick the ball there is always a player from the opposing team waiting to "intercept" the pass. The passing is crap, it does not pass where you were aiming to pass. I could go on for hours!

It seems to me that over the years there has been a great improvement in graphic's on footie games, and game play has gone out the window. Who want to watch Roy Keene scrarch his arse.

I think the best footie game I have played was the last ISS on the N64. I do hope that there is a decent footie game coming out and not more of the same good looking crap!

2. Bleeders

Bleeders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Commentary is crap in PES5, that's a given, so I turn it off.

As for the passing - switch to Manual Passing.

With all do respect, this game takes time to sink in. You won't benefit from it with an evening of play.

3. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Apart from the commentary, (which has always been crap in PES), which doesn't affect gameplay and the fact that you can't pass, is there anything else? It's not perfect but it's easily the best footy game available and is a big improvement on 4. There are some real problems though, especially with online play. Check out www.freethepatch.co.uk for online play problems.

4. TEVEZ032

TEVEZ032
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Hmm. Maybe you should try reading the manual and practising a bit more.
    The depth of gameplay is sublime once you get 'into' it.

Admitedly the commentary is a bit naff, although I find it on the funny side more than annoying.

g

5. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I will give it another try with passing set to manual

6. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    Argh! We have an unbeliever! Burn him! ;)

My first tip would be to set the camera to wide so you get a better idea of your passing options. Always remember that you need to pass to where a player will be in a second or two, not where he is now. And get your through balls going, even in midfield, to hit your opponent on the break. It works a treat!

7. DamianL

DamianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    the through ball is the key to scoring....and the key to the through ball is in the set-up menu..

best tip i was ever given: look at your opponents back four/three and manually alter the position of your forwards as best you can so that they sit in between and slightly ahead of these defenders...it dramatically increases the likelyhood of successful through balls and passes in to feet around the box etc...

just a little tip...i am sure others can give better ones, or will chip in to refute this one:rolleyes:

that's the glory of ISS, its so deep when you get into it...
    but this works for me...

8. syntax error

syntax error

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also when you pass dont wait for the ball to arrive to your player, run the player receiving the pass towards the ball.

However, Pro Evo is broken, but not necessarily the reasons you state. Its one game that is in drastic need of an overhaul and has been stagnating for years in my opinion.

9. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    I stopped playing because its too hard

You have to be an expert all the time to score a goal

Most of the time you play for half an hour and your chasing the computer ai around and it ends up 0-0. Thats a real waste of half an hour

10. VILLAn66

VILLAn66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    That's what the star ratings are for. Knock it down to one star and you should be fine.

The game is the best franchise around and is the one game that I play from one version to the next and never tire of. I agree that, compare with the new stuff coming out, it is looking a little dated. Hopefully, that will be rectified with PES6 - XBOX360 and PS3 versions.

I can't wait!

11. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Its not really the look its the playability that is my greatest concern, I dont want it to be like and EA game!

12. AFSTER

AFSTER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Never be like Fifa :)

I can remember when i played it and never liked it and could pass or score

The more u play the better you get and it gets very good and you realise how realistic it is

13. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    It's got far more depth than FIFA

14. mpaul0055

mpaul0055

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Simon 69

Give it time mate. It honestly is the most realistic and rewarding footy game to play. It took me about 10 games on Pro Evo 5 to start favoring it over pro evo 4. But its like that with every pro evo really.

To score a goal you need good passing and good shooting with good technique. Not fifa style! And shooting on 5 has got much harder, but once you get to grips with it the balance and striking of the players in fantastic.

If you give it some time and get some 2 players going i assure you, you wont look back.

Pro Evo Isnt Just A Game, Its a Bloody Lifestyle :) lol

15. drevil2nd

drevil2nd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

It would have been easier to say "im a numpty, please tell me im wrong" :D

16. mpaul0055

mpaul0055

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Love it .. Couldnt of put it better myself.. LOL

17. noikz

noikz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    For proper commentary you need Winning Eleven (original Jap PES). Kabira's comments are so funny. ;)

18. Mad Jack

Mad Jack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    As the others have already said, the commentary isn't good. It's a lot better than some previous offerings (I managed to stick it for a couple of sessions rather than the usual first game switch off) but that's not saying much..
    Anyway, I usually just switch it to a language I don't understand (usually, Spanish if available). That way you keep the atmosphere.

Not sure what the secret is to passing the ball... Personally, I've had little problem going from PES4 to PES5, but the same can't be said of a friend of mine..
    The only advice I can offer here, is to not treat the pass-button like it's going to magically get the ball to a team-mate. If a pass isn't on, then don't pass! One of the improvements this version has over the previous one is that it's easier to hold onto the ball and shield it from the opposition. So hold onto it and wait for a clear pass to become available or dribble into a pass-making position.
    Also, make sure you DON'T centre the directional stick before the player actually plays the ball. Otherwise your passing is likely to be extremely haphazard.

On an overall note, I think morale plays quite a big role in the game. What I mean is that the better you play, the better your own players get and the worse the opposition become. Unfortunately for noobs, this also works in reverse. If you play badly enough it's more than your players can do to stand up, never mind control the ball! ;)

So, I would recommend what VILLAn66 said and turn down the skill level till you get more used to the controls. Or maybe spend some time in the training mode.

I played ISS on the 64 (jap version though) and while it was good at the time, I found it got old very quickly. The Pro Evo games (apart from the, imo, disappointing first PS2 version) keep me going for MONTHS. I can almost guarantee my next session will throw up some new situation that will amuse me. In fact, I'm more excited about this game than real football. :D

19. Craigy

Craigy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +872
    It honestly took me a month of playing at least 15-20 hours a week to truly "get it", after a night then its just not possible to like the game, put it this way, if someone is left footed and tries to pass or shoot with their right foot then you are gonna be frustrated.

Same with passing, you either pass the ball and treat it like a hot potato, its gonna go to the opposition alot, you hold the ball and wait for the right run to pass it through its gonna happen.

No point in this though as you would prefer a more arcade like game, but i suggest you change the title from "Not impressed" to "I am not good enough and have no patience"

20. simon69

simon69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I have plenty of patience, so your remarks are just pap, however, many people have posted constructive points so thanks to them!