1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pro-audio in the home

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Ettepet, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The past few weeks I have been looking at Pro-audio stuff (mainly Behringer) to put to use at home. Amazing prizes, and possibilities often not available for HT. It started off when I was looking for a way to do RTA, and bumped into the cheap Behringer ECM-8000 microphone.

Yesterday I went to a local music store, and bought a high-quality mixer (UB-1002) together with the ECM-8000. That was the cheap part, mainly to (finally) do some decent RTA.

While being in the shop I heard a demonstration of the Lexicon MPX-550 on some active monitors, a very impressive piece of equipment to say the least! The effects (flange, reverbs, tune-pitch, etc.) were truly awesome, and that with only two speakers. I thought this would mean $$$, but it was quite affordable (389 euro, 260 GBP). I didn't need much further convincing, so now I have high-quality, adjustable podium/hall/live-concert effects (and much more) to stereo sources. :cool:

When I get my yearly bonus the coming month, I will very likely add some (active) Mackie 624's or Genelic 1030's to this stereo setup. For the time being this will be my way of doing HT (Pioneer) and stereo (Mackie/Genelic + Lexicon). I am very much looking forward to this solution! :D

2. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I guess you either love or hate those DSP effects. I used to have an Alesis Microverb 2 when I was a little more creative (and younger). I hooked it up to my CD player and marvelled at the large reverbs I could apply to the entire mix of a CD. Got bored of it rather quickly though. Then came the Yamaha DSP amps. Much more subtle effects, but again, I quickly tired of them. I ended up using a pair of rear speakers wired in series across the positive connections only (before I had a prologic amp) to produce sound only when audio was out of phase or one channel louder than the other - this, in a crude way, gave me surround information such as reverb from the mix without any vocals. Of course this is essentially what prologic was based on. I loved it and still listen to 2 channel audio this way (although now I use a Meridian 561 to properly extract the ambient sound using the 'Music' setting).

It's an interesting journey, but I can't help thinking you'll eventually get bored of those kinds of effects?

3. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I used to have a Yamaha too, a very lucky buy at the time: cheap, great remote (the same as with their then top-model), AND a 'Stadium' effect. Though I got tired of most others the 'Stadium' effect was great with many clean-sounding songs (=having no reverb).

Recently I attached the Yamaha to my far superior Pioneer, using all 5.1 outlets of the Yamaha. It sounded like utter crap, half of which comes from the lousy pre-out interface (i think).

The Lexicon gives me the same type of possibilities I was used to on the Yamaha (and many, many more), but at a much higher quality. This is not surprising, because the MPX-550 is meant for judging the quality of a sound-mix under different circumstances, inside a modern studio.

The sound that caught me this time was that of being at a BIG live outside concert, with all of the fluctuating sound-dynamics involved.** "Stereo-stage" sounds great, as does "Basement", and there are tons I haven't tried sofar. I had some fun playing around with Pitch-tuning as well! :D

I understand what you mean about getting tired of effects, but I reserve these effects for special occasions, and for now to have fun experimenting.

I started this topic really to share the knowledge, and to see if others have discovered possible usages of Pro-audio that are not widely known yet. :)
    ---

** Effects 165 (DeepFlange-Large), 221 (Chor1+Large), and 223 (Chor2+Large) are great for that, while effect 230 (DeepFlange-Dot8) sounds just like being half a mile away from the concert.