• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pro audio amplifier and sub in HT???

Damian83

Hi. I'm thinking to install 2 subwoofers in my HT configuration and a friend suggested me to buy amplifiers + passive subs from pro audio line, instad of an active, HT dedicated subs. Something like these:

What do you think about this? And why this stuff is so cheap compared to HT components?
From what i know, class D amplifiers are a lot efficient (3,2kg for so much power is nothing), but have less quality. I don't mind buying such amplifiers for standard speakers but what about a sub? in fact i think the amplifiers installed in active subs are class D too...

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Why are huge 40Kg black boxes covered in felt not 'popular' in the HT market :)

Assuming you can integrate them with your room and AV system the 'Pro' and 'Pro-sumer' market offer great value for money - though maybe lack a little refinement at times and you have to be aware of fans and other 'pro' features which can catch you out.

If you don't have to look at them there are plenty of 'pro' options to consider.

Joe

Damian83

Why are huge 40Kg black boxes covered in felt not 'popular' in the HT market :)

Assuming you can integrate them with your room and AV system the 'Pro' and 'Pro-sumer' market offer great value for money - though maybe lack a little refinement at times and you have to be aware of fans and other 'pro' features which can catch you out.

If you don't have to look at them there are plenty of 'pro' options to consider.

Joe

yes they are ugly, both amplifiers and subs. But considering weight/dimensions of the amp, i can even hide it behind the ps4. the sub, instead, i have to find an acceptable one that can fit in the room of course. The ones i linked are only an example, but if u say that they sounds good so i can think about it.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Plenty of folk use ‘Pro’ audio Speakers and electronics, ideally with the speakers they tend to go into dedicated rooms where they can be hidden away behind projection screens, false walls etc

Have a look in the DIY forum for ideas on what folk have tried out.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom