Private plate and buying new car

Ol!ver

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've got a private plate on my current car. What do I have to do with regards to putting that on retention? Does that all need doing before I can collect the new one or not?

Done this twice before and I still can't remember what to do !

Cheers guys

Oli

Not going to bother copying and pasting anything - but look here.

My only worry is the fact I'm trading my old car in. When I've done it before it's never slowed the process down, so I can only assume the dealer took the car without a V5 each time. Is this the norm? I deffo didn't wait for weeks for the new car.

Cheers

I have just done the very same thing (private plates, trade-in and new car) Didnt quite go to plan but here is the process.

First you need to retain your current plates. This means that you will receive a new number plate for your current car and a new tax disk. This part of the process is quite quick BUT the DVLA point out that you must not sell your car until you receive the new V5 document...and that takes a bit longer.
First you will receive a new tax disk (with an envelope to send back the old one) Plus a document that allows you to get new plates made. They are very strict on plates these days so you can only buy them from approved places.
A couple of weeks later you will receive your V5 and separately, the retention certificate (which allows you to get the new car registered in the private plate)
In my case, the retention certificate didnt arrive in time so the new car was registered with a new '08 plate BUT it wont matter because I can use the retention certificate to transfer the private plates to my car whenever I want in the next 12 months. Its really no big deal to do it this way round because when you do sell the car eventually, you may want to keep your private plates again and so the DVLA will just put the same original number back onto the car.

For interest - Sent off my MOT certficate, V5, £105 and the form on 7 May
The new tax disk and plate authorisation arrived on 21 May
The V5 (allowing me to do the trade-in) arrived on 29th May
and the retention certificate (so the car could be registered arrived on 30 May.
Hope this helps

I have just done the very same thing (private plates, trade-in and new car) Didnt quite go to plan but here is the process.

First you need to retain your current plates. This means that you will receive a new number plate for your current car and a new tax disk. This part of the process is quite quick BUT the DVLA point out that you must not sell your car until you receive the new V5 document...and that takes a bit longer.
First you will receive a new tax disk (with an envelope to send back the old one) Plus a document that allows you to get new plates made. They are very strict on plates these days so you can only buy them from approved places.
A couple of weeks later you will receive your V5 and separately, the retention certificate (which allows you to get the new car registered in the private plate)
In my case, the retention certificate didnt arrive in time so the new car was registered with a new '08 plate BUT it wont matter because I can use the retention certificate to transfer the private plates to my car whenever I want in the next 12 months. Its really no big deal to do it this way round because when you do sell the car eventually, you may want to keep your private plates again and so the DVLA will just put the same original number back onto the car.

For interest - Sent off my MOT certficate, V5, £105 and the form on 7 May
The new tax disk and plate authorisation arrived on 21 May
The V5 (allowing me to do the trade-in) arrived on 29th May
and the retention certificate (so the car could be registered arrived on 30 May.
Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply. I've not waited the other times I have done this though. The car I have now decided I was having and picked up three days later.
Cheers again

If you're trading your car in with a "proper" dealer, the procedure is this:

1. Tell the dealer to do all the paperwork for you

:cool:

If you're trading your car in with a "proper" dealer, the procedure is this:

1. Tell the dealer to do all the paperwork for you

:cool:

Exactly. When I bought my Harley I had a plate on my old Honda VFR. Told the dealer that the plate was to go on my new bike - they did it all for me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom