Private Car Leasing?

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you lease a car, what are you responsible for?

Annual Service, MOT?

I was thinking if I could avoid the £600-£800 bill that comes up every January, the cost of leasing might be quite attractive.

Any other advice on whether consider leasing?

cheers

U would still have to pay for service and mot if u are leasing...

So what if they lease you a car which is due to have it's belts replaced, you have to pay for this?

the idea seems flawed.

When you buy a car, you are accepting the wear and tear and faults.

But leasing a car, and having to take responsibility for the cost of previous owners wear and tear?

Or is there a difference between new and used card leasing?

also, wear and tear on things like tyres, brakes? How do you they quantify it if they are not brand new when given to you...

Last edited:
Wouldn't you just lease a new car so no belts need replacing, no MOT for three years etc?

I guess I was thinking of 'nearly new' cars.. not brand new.. so a brand new car would make sense.

Just trying to weigh up the costs vs keeping my current car and paying service MOT.. whether there's much relief in maintenance cost.

All maintenance packages include all routine servicing, replacement tyres and other repair costs that might be required and to keep you mobile 365 days a year a relief vehicle is an optional service so in the event of a mechanical or accidental breakdown a replacement vehicle is provided. You can even specify to receive a vehicle immediately or after 24 or 48 hours. A like for like replacement vehicle can also be specified in the contract.

We aim to make the process of booking a service, MOT or repair both simple and hassle free by offering a single telephone number to arrange all servicing and repairs and by using only approved garages we ensure that drivers receive the highest level of service, minimising any disruption to their working day.

This sounds good :)

I lease privately and it's always a brand new car, I've never know nearly new cars to be leased??

Anyway as it's normally a 2 or 3 year lease term all you pay for in servicing and tyres unless you take on a deal that incorporates either or both.

The cost will be a bit more or obvious reasons so it may or may not be worth it depending on the extra costs involved.

Here's a deal I received last week from one of the brokers I've used in the past which seems very good IMO

VOLKSWAGEN CC, 2.0 TDI BLUEMOTION, TECH GT, 4 DOOR!!!
VW CC - Front Angle, 2013, 800x600, 1 of 122
ONLY £259 + VAT PER MONTH!!! (FULL MAINTENANCE!!!)
Spec Includes: Metallic Paint, Leather, 18” Alloys, DAB Digital Radio,
Cruise Control, Privacy Glass, Electric Front & Rear Windows, Xenon Headlights, Reverse Parking Aid, & Air Con!!!
3 Years (3+35), 10,000 Miles Per Annum, Non Maintenance.
Business or Personal Contract Hire.

I'll be returning my Octavia VRS in october as it's 3 years will have been up and up till now I've only had it serviced once by Skoda due to the variable servicing on the cars and I'll not probably not have it serviced again as I won't go near the recommended mileage for the next service.....worth keeping in mind

Last edited:
We have privately leased before.
You are responsible for

1. Insurance
2. Servicing (very important you keep the service record up to date)
3. Consumables (tyres/wipers/bulbs/brake pads etc)

The leasing company is responsible for roadtax, they send you a disc in the post every year.
With regard to an MOT at the end of the three year lease, you can avoid this by arranging a collection date prior to the MOT being due.
We had our car collected approx 3 weeks before the MOT was due, never heard anything about it after that.

We have privately leased before.
You are responsible for

1. Insurance
2. Servicing (very important you keep the service record up to date)
3. Consumables (tyres/wipers/bulbs/brake pads etc)

The leasing company is responsible for roadtax, they send you a disc in the post every year.
With regard to an MOT at the end of the three year lease, you can avoid this by arranging a collection date prior to the MOT being due.
We had our car collected approx 3 weeks before the MOT was due, never heard anything about it after that.

I wouldn't leave it any closer than 3 weeks as they will prob get u to pay for an MOT, depending on the leasing company...!

I wouldn't leave it any closer than 3 weeks as they will prob get u to pay for an MOT, depending on the leasing company...!

When I checked the lease company's terms and conditions, it only really mentioned an MOT in very vague terms.
It only said "A valid MOT at the date of collection"
There was nothing gave any timeframes as to when the driver was liable or not.
I.E. nothing at all that said "if an MOT is due within X days/weeks of return, the driver shall be liable"
So I thought, sod it, I'll take a chance.
And it worked.:D

IMO You need to look at what you are actually comparing. You also have compare the actual car you are looking to buy/lease, as some cars are great value lease vehicles and some are not.

My first lease car arrives monday as we didn't want to take out a big loan at the moment. Kept the last car for last 8.5 years but am planning on a few more miles, so needed to update.

Comparing keeping and running an older car with a new lease car doesn't stack up - the lease car will cost you alot more (bar the used car going pop/serious issues with exotic motors)......it depends on what price you put on making trips to the garage/inconvenience/unexpected bills/easy life etc

Comparing a lease car with purchasing outright or on PCP is worth consideration. Lots of people buy on PCP every three years..... putting down a payment and making monthly payments, then after three years changing...why do this?......surely work to a monthly payment and just lease?

If you are buying outright and plan to keep the car for only a few years, then again leasing makes sense and the depreciation costs can make the leasing option actually better value.

If you are looking to buy new and keep the car for say, 8 years, then straight finance I think looks like a better option, as at some point you will be car payment free, but still have a half decent car to use.

These are only my observations, im sure others may disagree. I have chosen this next car with my head not my heart as I cant stretch to what I would buy, so hopefully 24months down the line I can buy the 2/3 year old car I wold like to own. Dont get me wrong, Im looking forward to the new car....all the toys and comforts, room for 4 and very frugal.

You can keep your payments down by making 6 payments upfront instead of 3......on the back of this you can get a really nice car for well under £200 per month inc VAT......not a Passat CC......but a nice motor (not a Fiesta/Corsa!!!!).

Im not sure if thats helpful to you.......!

Hi, we are also considering leasing as opposed to buying, we have looked at Lings, are there any other good value leasing companies that you guys would recommend????

Hi, we are also considering leasing as opposed to buying, we have looked at Lings, are there any other good value leasing companies that you guys would recommend????

Nationwide vehicle contracts

Gateway2Lease

It's well worth shopping around/doing lots of searching as each leasing company has their own special deals/rates. I almost took a deal then found the same car, but two models up, for £15 a month cheaper by doing some more searching. Not all leasing companies use those comparison portals.

Lings couldn't get anywhere near the deal I got incidentally.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom