Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Prismasonic V-200 Anamorphic lense review

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by baltar, Apr 19, 2003.

1. baltar

baltar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yesterday I received my Prismasonic V200 Anamorphic lense. This my review. I am kind of a newbie so it will not be full of all kinds of technical stuff.

My setup:

Projector: Nec VT440 (SVGA, 1100 lumen)
    DVD-play.: Sony DVP-S725D (interlaced)
    Connection: Component-to-VGA

The lense itself is much heavier than I thought. It has a metal housing containing two solid glass prism's. The quality of the used materials look very good. The lens has several adjustment screws so that a lot of different projectors work with the lens. This solid glass model is especially made for front heat exhaust projectors (like the VT440). The hot air blows right under the two prisms.

Both prisms can be rotated on the side of the lens in order to adjust the aspect ratio. I use it to squeeze a 4:3 image to 16:9 but it can also be used to for a 16:9 to 21:9 (2.35:1) squeeze. That will come handy in de future when I buy a widescreen projector.

The calibration of the lense is very simple. Just put it in front of the lense, making sure that the light beam goes through the middle of the prisms. I do not have a permanent setup of my projector in my living room, but that is no problem since placing the lense goes very quick.

Due to an increased resolution of 33% the image quality is significantly better. Less screendoor effect en much better colors. But perhaps the greatest advantage is the dissapearence of the 'black (grey)' bars under and above the image. Now I really have the idea of looking at a cinemascreen.

There is only a very small pincushion effect on the lower side of the screen. It is aprox. 1cm but it is not annoying at all.

Conclusion:

I am very pleased with this upgrade. Especially for those who havel an older SVGA projector this is a very good upgrade. Since the lens also has the ability to squeeze from 16:9 to 2.35:1, it will also be very useful in the future.

Greetings from Holland,

Marco

2. baltar

baltar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correction:

In my review i said that the housing is of metal. That is incorrect. It is made out of wood. It is mounted on a metal plate.

Marco