Prismasonic lens

tomdanscar

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just ordered a seymour 2.35 screen and was considering an anamorphic lens possibly a prismasonic has any one got any opinions on these.I have heard they are 50% off at the moment so for £1300 :eek: is it a bargain or too good to be true.i have a jvc 350 by the way

The 50% off bit seems a bit of a mystery as there isn't anything on the website, which I would have expected to be in big letters if true. :confused:

However as there's a H5000R in the classifieds for around £900 I'd say grab that instead (he has a HD750 so close enough to your HD350). There isn't really anything to wear out as such so buying used (so long as it's cosmetically to your satisfaction) should be a good 'risk'. FWIW my Isco II lens has had about 4 owners before me I think and it still looks (and works) like new.

Cheers Kelvin is the scope image a great improvement over the other and is it once done you never go back

This home cinema game is a nightmare when you start upgrading told the wife that we were going wider and going to lose the black bars all she said was
"what black bars":rolleyes::facepalm:

I sometimes wish I could have the same attitude as your wife ( and my OH is the same) as it would be much cheaper. However, I think since my latest recalibration and general setup tweaking I've really wrung the last drop of performance out of my system. In some ways it's a little boring as there isn't any new tech to chase (not that it stops me reading though :D), but in other ways I feel free just to get on and enjoy the films. While I could buy a new JVC X3/7 I'm not convinced it will make watching the films anymore enjoyable (or any better given some of the dross I seemed to have picked lately :rolleyes:). The only thing I could improve is the room, which isn't very exciting to write or read about I guess.

It might sound strange, but I feel like I've spent much of the last few years analysing and constantly thinking 'this could be better if...' so it's a nice place to be at now. I have to remind myself how lucky I am to have even the setup I do have and not be too busy chasing 'the next new thing' to enjoy what I've already got.

I should really be reading in the films and cinema thread I guess. :D

I tell you what i keep doing buying films sticking them in the cupboard and waiting till i have the next new thing before i watch them most are still sealed.i probably wont watch anything till the new screen arrives and then the kids will take over the room:laugh:

I have just ordered a seymour 2.35 screen and was considering an anamorphic lens possibly a prismasonic has any one got any opinions on these.I have heard they are 50% off at the moment so for £1300 :eek: is it a bargain or too good to be true.i have a jvc 350 by the way

Hi, i emailed Prismasonics last night after some of the comments made on my 'for sale' thread. I got a response from Anssi early on this morning (5.22am to be precise!):

Hello Asif,

Sure we offer discount to the reseller, but there is no way they can offer the lenses to customers with -50% from our list prices. There must be some kind of misunderstanding here.

Best Regards,
Anssi leppanen

Im assuming the 50% off comments were made so i would simply donate my lens or pay someone to take it off my hands!! As far as i can see, the lens prices actually went up from when i purchased mine last year-i think this was due to rising commodity prices-glass in this case. Im surr Phil Hinton or Gary Lightfoot mentioned it in a thread somewhere on the projector forum that lens prices across the board (not just Prismasonics) went up due to the increased price of glass.

Hope that clarifys things:smashin:

... is the scope image a great improvement over the other and is it once done you never go back

For me, definitely.

16:9 looks old tech just like 4:3 does now, and after zooming then getting a lens, I wouldn't sell my lens and go back to zooming. When I sold my house, the buyers wanted the projector and screen, but I wouldn't part with the lens (I told them it wasn't part of the deal). They were lucky - I found another ISCO II on the forums here and they were lucky to get it at a pretty good price too.

With a good lens, you end up keeping the lens and upgrading the pj.

Gary

Thanks Gary I have been looking for a lens and have found the panamorph lens but it says the lens to screen should be min 12 foot ? Any idea why.

It might be due to throw requirements. You usually need at least two times the width of the 16:9 part of the screen for best image reproduction through the lens, so if you have a 6 foot wide 16:9 image the pj should be 12 feet back, and you'll have an 8 foot wide 2.35 image with the lens in place.

Does that sound about right for your set up?

Gary

Thanks Gary the screen is

16.9. W76. H43. D88

2.35. W100. H43. D109

So 76x2 =152. Which is 12 foot 6

I sit 11 foot from the screen and the pj is 10 foot from the screen

I am sure I read it was 2.4 times the screen height which would be 8 foot 6

Does this mean need to sit in the hall :rotfl:

Last edited:
Thanks Gary I have been looking for a lens and have found the panamorph lens but it says the lens to screen should be min 12 foot ? Any idea why.

The reason panamorph have stated the above distance is that placed any closer, the image would probably suffer from pin cushioning/vignetting. Having quoted that distance though, panamorph should state what 16:9 screen width it applies. The more reputable Manufacturers normally have throw distance/screen size calculators available on there website. Prismasonics and Schneider provide these details on there websites so the consumer is aware if the lens is appropriate or not in there setup:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks Gary the screen is

16.9. W76. H43. D88

2.35. W100. H43. D109

So 76x2 =152. Which is 12 foot 6

For a two times times throw distance 12ft 6 ins is where the lens should go. If you can move the pj back further that would be better still (as long as you can still fill the screen height of course - a longer throw is preferable to a shorter one )

I sit 11 foot from the screen and the pj is 10 foot from the screen

I am sure I read it was 2.4 times the screen height which would be 8 foot 6

Does this mean need to sit in the hall :rotfl:

Are you saying you sit in the hall or that the hall is between the projector and screen?? :)

All anamorphic lenses give some degree of pincushion, though the further back you have the pj & lens the less this becomes. Vignetting is the main reason why closer throw distances should be avoided since you risk the A lens cutting the corners off of the projected image (the image is larger than the exit aperture of the A lens).

For seating distance info, see my link below.

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom