1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prismasonic H100/H200 compared.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Cornelius, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had experiences with both the H100 (liquid filled) and H200 (solid glass) lenses and thought I'd post a qiuick mini review.

First off many thanks to Anssi and the team. They were very helpful with both purchases and responded to e-mails as soon as they could (sure they've got other jobs to do;) ). Excellent customer service.

(Note that I'm using a long throw projector)

1. Quality

Both are robustly built, solid (no pun intended) products.

2. Dimensions

Exactly the same.

3. Optics

Superb. Again, this depends on the amount of zoom you use. With maximun zoom the image begins to blur at ~20-30% at the sides. This is easy to spot with text but not a problem IMO with movies. With minimum zoom the image is sharp from edge to edge. This applies to the liquid and glass prisms.

4. Distortion.

The degree of pincushion distortion appears the same again, depending on how much zoom you are using.
    With maximum zoom the effect can be significantly reduced by carefully aligning the lens to projector.
    The instructions say the the image should be through the center of the prisms with a diagram demonstrating an upward tilt of ~5-10 deg IIRC. I think this is for ceiling mounted projectors because I found a downward's tilt (shelf mounted PJ) reduced the pincushion distortion to acceptable levels which would not be noticed with border masking.

5. Light Spillage

This was posted in response to a H100 review I posted on AVS. I don't know if Alan Cougar was referring to the design of the H100 in particular but just clear up any confusion; if 'light spillage' refers to reduced brightness or reflected light through the sides or back of the lens then of course if the lens is placed at the wrong angle it will reflect light all over the place and this will be apperent in your dim picture. With a properly aligned lens (you don't need a physics degree) ALL the light output is from the front of the lens. My eyes didn't notice reduced brightness with Prismasonic lens on or off.

6. Lens adjustment.

The two dials on both models allow left and right image stretch as before.

So from a picture point of view my eyes couldn't detect any significant difference between the two lens types.

Obviously the solid glass prisms aren't prone to leakage from hot air from front ventilated projectors so this will be a major factor in your buying decision.

Why horizontal stretch rather than vertical squeeze?

If you want a bigger image in a room constrained setup then this is ideal, especially with a long throw PJ.

Overall I feel I've got reasonable value for money and certainly can't imagine why a panam$$$orph or I$co II would be £££ much better.

Congratulations to Prismasonic :clap:

CKA.

2. baltar

baltar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,Very inteteresting this first review of a solid glass model. I havel already placed an order for the V-200 but this review made me think about switching it to the H-200.

I own a Nect VT440 and use middle-zoom. This will remain the case with the V-200 model. When I will use the H-200 model I can leave my proj. on minimum zoom and keep the same picture as without the lense and middle zoom. The advantage of this will be that the blurring effect on the sides that seems to be the case when using zoom will not be a problem since I don't have to zoom.

3. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Balter,

Let me just emphasise that the 'blur effect' is more like a slight defocus than eye-watering myopia. I'm using maximum zoom on my PJ (I'm from the the big is best camp:D ) and can still watch movies in 2.35:1 format without seeing the effect. By reducing the degree of zoom you can eliminate the defocus further until it dissappears completely.

I'm not sure wether this optical effect happens in a similar way with the v200.
    Is your PJ long or short throw?

CKA.

4. baltar

baltar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cornelius,

You have already convinced me to stich with the V-200. In fact the H-200 is not an option for me since the minimun screen would be to big for me. I don't know whether I have a long or a short throw projector. When does a projector qualify as short throw?

Thanks for your explanation regarding the blurring effect!

5. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know what the cut-off point is but would presume anything which can throw a 90" image from 10-15 feet would qualify.

CKA.