1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prismasonic Anamorphic lens?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Cam, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a 136' diag 2.35/1 aspect screen for use with a 16/9 projector and plan to buy an anamorphic lens and while doing some research found the Prismasonic lens.

http://www.prismasonic.com/index.asp?sivu=/anamorphic_lens.htm

I was only aware of the Panamorph and Isco ones and have read a lot of threads on the AVS board of hassles with the Panamorph. The Isco seem to be better received but are very expensive. The Prismasonic is half the price of either but I am not wanting to go ahead and buy one till I can get some feedback from some owners.
    So,...Anybody had any dealings with the 16/9 to 21/9 (2.35/1) Prismasonic anamorphic lens?
    I will be using a Sanyo PLV-70 (2100 calibrated lumens) with the lens.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cam

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    myself and others have recently been looking at lenses with the NEC HT1100 dlp. Uczmeg was using an optimorph which attachs directly to the projector. I had a prismasonic stretch model which I passed onto him and I believe gary lightfoot now has the optimorph.

I think Uczmeg found the optimorph good but didnt give a precisely 16:9 ratio with the 4:3 NEC panel. So he tried the prismasonic which was mine. Unfortunately he found that the prismasonic NEEDS to be bolted into place else it is really tough to setup. Neither of us noticed the chromatic aberation that has been shown on avs (though i didnt look too closely).

The prismasonic is very big and very solid feeling so if you like good build it def has it! Though I imagine WAF isnt exactly high with it. I believe Ikland now has the lens, maybe he will give us some views

all the best

ad

3. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi,

I think there are quite a few Prismasonic V200 users on here. However in general people are using it with 4:3 projectors to get 16:9.

I briefly had a H200, however my projector had a short throw which was not recommended for short throw projectors.

It seemed well made.

In general an anamorphic lens is a great idea. The Prismasonics are nice as you can adjust the output to make sure you get the exact aspect ratio you require.

I have a very adhoc setup, I pull the projector out when necessary. In this situation I found it very had to set a lens up as the lens has 3 planes of movement, the projector can be in different positions as can the coffee table.

It was a bit of a nightmare, so I gave up!

Cheers
    Marc

4. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    As Buns said I had an Optimorph for a while and loved it.

But I still had setup issues with an attached lens (I couldn't get at the focus if I left it on) and the focus is always different due to my setup. There were a lot of screws holding it on and it drove me mad in the end.

It wasn't quite 16:9 and so used a computer to squish the image a little. Results were excellent.

A lens will cause some barrel distortion at the edges of your screen. So be prepared for that. That is true even of the expensive ISCO.

Cheers
    Marc

5. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies
    The WAF doesnt come into it as I have the projector firing through a hatch and all the "unsightly gear" (her words not mine) are tucked away in my study.
    Looking at the pictures it seems a very nicely made and well engineered product. I think I am sold on the idea of a H-500. I have posted on the Prismasonic forum just for them to confirm it is suitable for the Sanyo but I am pretty sure it will be as its long throw but my only concern is the size of the optics on the PLV-70.

Does anyone know what customs charge for importing a lens?
    I am guessing 10% plus vat...hmm its just a pity RyanAir don't fly to Helsinki anymore.

Cam

6. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    No custom charges as it is all within the EU and VAT is charged at source.

Not sure you have realised, the prices quoted on the site are ex-VAT. They will add VAT at 22%.

Cheers
    Marc

7. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Roughly a H-500 will 500 quid plus shipping then. Still a lot cheaper than the Isco or Panamorph.

Cam

8. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    You missed a used H200 go for £250 last week...

Please post your opinions on the lens should you get it.

Cheers
    Marc

9. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bit late to this thread, sorry. I have the h200 Prismasonic originally owned by somebody on these forums and passed down and down.
    To be honest, I couldn't completely recommend it. I have seen the chromatic abberation talked about on AVSforum, and once you see it you start to look for it all the time. It is like rainbows on DLP. Similar colour too.
    It is hard to set up correctly as there are so many variables to play with - two lenses to position; distance and height from projector to lens etc (no real instructions either).
    The pincushion effect is quite obvious too, even at minimum zoom - although it never really bothers me when watching a film. It is obvious on a windows desktop though.
    Most disappointing of all though is that for some reason the 33% increase in vertical resolution does not really look much better. A / B comparisons are not that different at all.
    The better models may be better quality, but they are expensive by the time they get to you.

Having said all that i am still happy with mine for the price I paid and its ability to allow my old DLP machine to throw a bigger picture in my small room. Also, I have low standards when it comes to visuals and am more into the sound side of things.

Andy

10. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Andy,
    I am projecting from 20ft away from the screen which should minimze the chromatic abberation. I am going to order a H500 and will post my impressions once I have it setup.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Cam

11. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Cam,

sorry if i put you off. Was just being honest. These things are expensive after all.
    Was just wondering - does the v500 offer anything over the h500 for you? Think I read somewhere that there was less pincushion effect, and presumably you don't need the horizontal stretch since you can get your projector a long way from the screen?

P.S where did you get your 2.35/1 aspect screen from?

Andy

12. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I am glad of the input and it seems that the PLV-70 with its long throw optics will be suited to the lens. I have projected a 180 in diag onto a white wall and the image was still very watchable esp after being calibrated.

20 ft is the distance the Sanyo needs to be away from the screen to shoot a 54inch high 16/9 image without resorting to use the zoom (with zoom its about 15ft). Also I want to have a constant height screen for all aspect ratios so a horizontal stretch, as I understand how these lenses work, would be my best option.

www.carada.com

I used a 16/9 104 in diag Carada Premier with 1.4 gain with my recently sold JVC SX21 and the image was sensational. The quality of the screen is beyond reproach and the prices are great. Unlike all the other fixed screens the Carada comes with velvet borders as std and the frame is better than the most expensive da-lite fixed screens. I bought my Carada when I was in the US and all in it cost me under £400.
    Its the best fixed screen money can buy IMO unless you are talking Stewart ones but for a sixth of the price.

Cam

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the vertical squish should generally look better so pincushion and such wont come into play as much. Effectively you are decreasing the picture size from the same viewing distance so wont be seeing issues as easily as increasing the picture size from the same distance.

all the bets

ad

14. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have orderred an H500 and will report how it works out once its arrived and set up.

Cam

15. eugdog

eugdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a V200 - I strongly recommend it - either you will enjoy a much sharper picture or you can make the screen size far larger and still enjoy acceptable picture quality.

You cannot do better to improve picture quality for £500 for a 4.3 projector.

Set up was easy but required some trial and error to get optimal focus! But once you done it then thats it. When I play 4.3 stuff I just shove it aside! It is that easy!

But it is not recommend for cieling mounted projectors. Because the lens has to be bolted to the cieling you cannot really remove it when play 4.3 material.

Go for it!!!

16. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thought I would edit my above post a bit.
    After much trial and error re: focusing and position of the lens etc, I finally got my setup working properly and can see what all the fuss is about. The extra detail is there now and after calibration it looks really good. Took some time though.
    Previously I had just stretched the image to fill my screen. This time I moved things about to allow minimum zoom from my PJ and was able to be more scientific in positioning the lens.
    I now get much less chromatic abberation and can see where the extra 33% pixels go.
    Took me some time though.:blush:

Andy