Quantcast

Priorities for powerchords....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtrips

Standard Member
Hello,

A simple question.
Good powerchords costs a lot of money. What's the priority order in a Hi-Fi components' chain where you should invest in a powerchord ? Where does it have the most impact ? And where does it have the least impact ?
How much money should you invest in a powerchord in relation wit the value of the component hooked up with ?

Thanks.

ReTrO

Start with your source components.

Follow the HiFi law that says:

"If you put in crap you'll get crap out."

If you can improve your source then you'll get an improvment all the way through the audio chain.

Nic Rhodes

Well designed kit shouldn't need this at all. In the real world get RFI reducing ones (braided / screened) and apply to digital components like AV procesors / CD players first.

Xtrips

Standard Member
Well, this is news to me. I was told the complete opposite. That you should first use powerchords on power amplifier because of their higher needs on juice.
Now who's right ?
Can somebody throw some enlightments and arguments here ?
Thanks.

ReTrO

We are talking about power cables here right?

I've used the ones distributed by Quadraspire for quite a while, they are pretty good. Forget their name though, but we used them a lot on big AV demos. Mainly with Proceed or Naim AV gear, makes a huge difference.

Have a look at making your own, look at the long thread in the DIY section.

Nic Rhodes

Originally posted by Xtrips
Well, this is news to me. I was told the complete opposite. That you should first use powerchords on power amplifier because of their higher needs on juice.
Now who's right ?
Can somebody throw some enlightments and arguments here ?
Thanks.
Think about it, a huge meaty power amplifier with a massive power supply or very delicate digital signals that are high suceptible to small changes. What is most easily damaged?

Nic Rhodes

http://www.russandrews.com/downloads.html

download the The Power and The Glory booklet

It has more on power chords and mains than anything else I know. It obviously pushes the kimber products (which are excellent) but there is good generic stuff here. These guys INVENTED the mains power chord market, probably back in about 1985.

Look to DIY.

From someone who has made many mains leads, has all bar the silver Kimber ones here at home n test, I recommend their yellow for digital stuff (inc projectors) as great value (as is their silencer).

Main quality at home is VERY variable. Everyone changes through the day and some home are really bad, others good (and cables make minimal differences here).

A mains 'hash' box can make interesting experiments.

Well designed kit shouldn't need after market tweeks like these, their power supplies should do all the hard work.

Have a read and come back with any more Qs.

Jammyb

Novice Member
Who knows, everyone who originally posted on this thread has died of old age in the years that followed :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.