• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Priojector Screen Size Ratio

simonjanda

I am after a projector screen but am a bit confussed over the aspect ration.
Do I get a 16.9 Widescreen or the wider 2.85 (I think its that size) ?
I will be using it for DVDs, LOTR and Transformers etc but also the Moto GP and Footy Games.

Any suggestions please.

Kathar

Standard Member
The 2.35:1 ratio is for if you're wanting to use it to view films only, but as you want to play games and such aswell, you should go for a screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Films are made in lots of different aspect ratios, 1.33:1, 1.66:1, 1.78:1 (that's 16:9), 1.85:1, 2.351 and others.

More and more films are being made in 2.35:1, but every time I check the new Blu-ray Disc releases at Amazon it comes out at around 50:50 ‘scope vs. less-wide ratios.

If you watch a 2.35:1 film on a 16:9 screen you'll get black bars at the top and bottom. If you watch a 1.85:1 film on a 2.35:1 screen you'll get bars at the sides.

There is an alternative with screens at 2.1:1, which have very small bars at the sides for 1.85:1 and very small bars at the top and bottom for 2.35:1.

The choice is yours.

Steve W

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
or dependant on budget, you can go for something like a multi format four in one screen from impact screen solutions which will give you know black bars dependant on aspect ratio:thumbsup:

Pecker

Distinguished Member
or dependant on budget, you can go for something like a multi format four in one screen from impact screen solutions which will give you know black bars dependant on aspect ratio:thumbsup:

Sorry, yes of course.

You can also go for a 2.35:1 screen (projecting either through 'zoom' or an anamorphic lens) and mask the sides as necessary.

Steve W

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom