Printing questions

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by HMHB, Jul 1, 2004.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,643
    These questions may be dumb !!

I've taken loads of photos that have resulted in jpegs of 2048x1536. If these are printed as 6x4 prints does the print process squash it all down to the right size correctly ? (I've noticed that high res images that are squashed a bit and viewed on screen can look strange)
    If I crop a photo and then have that printed, will the whole of the image be printed on a 6x4 print ? Do I have to make sure that the crop is of the right proportions ?

Hope my babbling is understandable ;)

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    It depends on how you are printing it. If you use an online service like photobox then you can select to either shrink the image to fit or have it cropped down. I know that with photbox you can use their online crop tool to define the crop you require - (dont know if anyone else offer similar) so you know exactly what will be on the final print. If your image is shrunk to fit then it will retain the correct ratio (ie not be squashed).

If you're printing the image yourself then you are able to control the cropping, shrinking etc from your image editor and print set up.

Oh, also some places have prints sizes that are a better match for digital files from cameras - like 6 x 4.5inch. They usually require little or no cropping.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,643
    Thanks mate, I'll probably give photobox a go with a few images first and see what they are like. I'm tempted to buy the canon cp-220 printer as well.
    Printer
    I know it will be more expensive to print using this printer, but it would be nice to do some myself. Has anyone any experience of this particular model ?

4. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Use this program to losslessly crop at any custom size. It has a useful ppi count so that you can crop a smaller region and see how you are reducing the quality.

http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/