Printing out my own photos advice please. Selphy ?? MP600 ??

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by hot-fuzz, Apr 25, 2007.

1. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Hello all,

Due to the missus wanting a scanner printer type machine i went out and got an HP C4180 and it is excellent in terms of scannign and copying.

The problem i have is that i want SPOT ON photo printing, and i mean spot on, cant tell the differnce, excellent printing, and i am quite anal about it.

I used to have a Canon IP4000 and that was exactly what i wanted, you couldnt tell that i had printed it out myself. That was until the print head broke and will cost me £40 to replace !!

The C4180 does a good enough job, but if you really look close you can see that the pic is made up of dots (admitadely thats only under strong light - but thats how anal i am).
    Im not going to get my photos delivered as i want instant gratification, but will go down that line if i need to print in bulk.

So i am left with a couple of questions :

Firstly, what is the difference in the IP4000 and the HP C4180 ? On paper they are the same 1200x1200 dpi etc etc.
    Why is printing different.

Secondly, shall i get a cheap Selphy CP720 (can get it for around £40), or get a Pizma MP600 and sell the C4180 as that does printing and copying, but will i end up with the same results as the C4180.

Any advice would be good people.

:thumbsup:

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    The Canon was ( is ) an excellent Photo printer.

Having used (Up to 5 HPs ) and Epson in the recent past and "borrowed " a PIXMA ip4400 lately:

My subjective conclusion is that the Epsons, used with thier paper and own ink or good quality 3rd party ink and the Canons are going to get you the "spot on" results you wish much more easily

The HPs probably make some fantastic Photoprinters but I can only rate them good to very good at best for photo printing

For every day printing and cost effectiveness I rate the Hps very high
    I think they are far more fussy regarding type of photo paper but much less so for paper regarding every day ( non photo) print for good quality

The actual printer paper specs are interesting but as you've seen dont tell you anything about output quality as the technologies used to implement the printing are not identical

With all, a bit of care in preparing the images for print and tweaking the printer drivers for optimum result rather than just accept default settings is desirable

As this is all based on personal experience , Im happy to be corrected if anyone else knows different

3. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    If you're looking to spend £40+ on a new printer that may or not give you results like your current printer, why are you not considering spending £40 on getting your current printer repaired?

4. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Firstly, a quick one.
    @Bursar
    I dont really want to buy a new print head as the missus still wants a scanner/copier and i cant have 2 large printers on my desk). So its either the C4180 and a Selphy or just an MP600. Not the IP4000 + C4180 (both 2 BIG printers).

@Senu
    Thanks for that. I have played about with the settings as much as humanly possible. I have used alot of programs to print them, and i spose this does make a difference.
    The only thing i havent tried is the quality of paper. I got some old reversable stuff, so might go for a decent set.

Ta for that, and spose will test before i go out and buy a new printer.

5. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    My point exactly... £40 fixing the canon seems like £40 well spent but I see your dilemma: WAF is not to be trivialised:cool: ( you can hide away the Canon and only hook it up for photos)
    however
    There is some danger that buying "cheap" and "experimenting" may end up costing you more in the long run
    Good luck!!